You can type here any text you want

Checking bearings and timing set change

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

BOP4ever

I am fixing a blown HG and was advised I should inspect the bottom end while it is out
I will have the pan off today and was wondering if there are any Buick pit falls I need to be aware of before I do it.
So far everything has looked great even the nylon cam gear shows vertually no wear
Engine has about 64k and has been on mobil 1 oil for its whole life pretty much.

Pulling the pan is tight, might have to drop the exhaust crossover, and turn the engine over by hand so the front crank counterbalance is up out of the way. Pan is tough to finagle out sometimes...

Def check rods AND mains. Did this once and looked at the rods, they looked good, so skipped the mains. Guess what wears out first when you lose an HG and put coolant in the oil... Had to replace all the bearings and crank needed turned from me not checking the mains...

You are smart to drop the pan and inspect. If you still have the stock cam sprocket, I'd think about replacing it now. A stock replacement chain set works just fine. In fact TA now offers a morse link style chain set with billet steel sprockets for our engines. You don't need a fancy double roller chain unless you get crazy with valve spring pressures (which I'm guessing you still have the stock cam and springs). When the cam sprocket goes bad, it sends nylon chucks into the oil pan........and causes bad things to happen!!

The good news is: If the bearings are questionable and the crank looks good, you can carefully replace bearings without pulling the engine. Just Plastigage the bearings and make sure your clearances are OK.

Back