checking preload on hydro roller lifters

gnfanatic

I need help guys. I bought an atr roller cam kit. I purchased a adj pushrod and got a 8.500 length. I installed pushrods, everything felt right, nice and tight. I rotated the motor by hand 2 full rotations just for the hell of it. Now 1 pushrod is loose. I can move it up and down , about .060 play. This is how I checked preload, please help! I am using stock new stamped steel rockers.
1-)made sure the lifter was on the base circle of the cam.
2-)installed adj pushrod and torqued down rocker shaft.
3-)adjusted pushrod to zero lash length, no play or down.
4-)measured that length and added.040 to it.
My intake is on now but going to take it off tonight. you think this is happening becuase the lifters are new? not pumped up? I soaked them in gas to clean them and then in oil, but the oil was 20 50 weight.
I tried to use a wire guage but didnt work, the lifter is to deep.
did I do this right? Help!
Thanks!

Since you will have your intake manifold off, loosen the rocker arm on the head that has the loose pushrod and remove the lifter. Switch the pair of lifters with the ones in the next lifter bore over. DONT switch anything else except the lifters. Use the same pushrod on the new lifter and re-tighten your rocker arm. Check to see if its ok now. Your lifters obviously arent pumped up so maybe the plunger on the lifter is pushed in a little bit. HTH's

BTW, I think my lifter pre-load is .060. I also have a hydrolic roller cam.

Thats what I am plannijng to do. why did you put yours at .060? And if the plunger is stuck at that point, what do I do?
thanks

When you rolled the motor over it pushed down the plunger. It will pump up when you pime it. Also it is easer to check for pushrod lenth with a solid roller lifter and adj pushrod . If you pushdown the plunger with the adj when checking it your not finding a true 0-lash lenth.

Jeromy

clean, thats interesting what you said. so your saying that the plunger is down and that normal since it isnt primed. So when I start the motor it will make noise probably for like 10 seconfds when the lifters are priming. I am going to check preload tonight with new lifters, I was hoping for a .040. Any other suggestions?? I thought the plunger is spring loaded? isnt there is a spring in it to raise the plunger back up?
thanks

Yes but they stick down sometimes. Leave everything alone and use a priming tool and a drill and re-prime the motor. Ibet the lash comes back.

If you have any other questions give me a call 602 319 0481 happy to help.

Jeromy

WOOHOO! I primed motor and the suckers got pumped. No more play at all. I am happy. I checked preload, it is at .050 on some and others are.040. I hope this is fine. what ya guys think?
Thanks for the help!
Jeromy, I tried calling twice today, you must be a busy guy!:D

I have my moments. Glad to here it worked out,thought it would. I would go a little looser on the preload. 20-30k there is only 60k travel in the lifter so 50 is pushing it IMHO.

I am not busy now give me a call.

Jeromy

Originally posted by gnfanatic
WOOHOO! I primed motor and the suckers got pumped. No more play at all. I am happy. I checked preload, it is at .050 on some and others are.040. I hope this is fine. what ya guys think?
Assuming that the vavles installed heights are all the same, the only way that can happen is either the cam lobes are different or the pushrods are different lengths. However, a little difference amongst the 12 is acceptable. If the .050 scares you, you can purchase some really thin brass sheet metal, cut out little squares, drill holes, and shim up the rocker shaft(s). Not the best thing in the world to do, but can be done.

Scott, heads were done by a well known shop. I also double checked valve heights, they are perfectly matched. Should I try this first or jsut put the shims in? I heard these lifters max out at .060. I hope I dont break anything! any suggestions?

thanks,
Ralph

I just went thru this and the pushrods that I bought had varying lengths. They were also all shorter than the advertised length. They were the next size up in diameter from my adjustable, so maybe that made them appear shorter the way that I was measuring them (comparing to the adjustable via a fixture and feeler guages).

.010 was about the difference between the shortest and longest, as I recall. They were SpeedPro or Sealed Power.

Tom