Cheetah Turbo

hbsky

I am trying to find out the series equivalency of the turbonetics cheetah turbo. I currently have one and I think that my stall is too low. Anyone have experience with this turbo?

The cheeta stage 3 will be fine on a stock stall converter. a 2800 will really wake it up though, from what ive seen the stage 4 is like a te44 and the stage 5 like the 60 series. the stage 3 is kinda like an upgrade for stock. not a bad turbo though.

Thanks for the info, that is exactly what I was looking for. Just need to upgrade the injectors and I should be all set!

hmn,

i think those injector charts are off for the Cheeta turbo. I think 36's would be plenty for the stage 3 cheeta, 42.5 on the stage 4 and 50 on the stage 5. maybe even 42.5 on the stage 5. What injectors do you have, and what cheeta do you have..

I have a Stge 4 with 40# inj, I am going to upgrade to at least 42.5. But, I am looking at a Stge 5, and have some 50# on the way. Seems like the Hp rating for the Cheetah's are a little off too?

It's a nice turbo, it just has a large exhaust housing which makes it hard to ET well because of bad 60's (slow spool up). I ran mine with 42.5lbrs and had no problems. You just need the right tune and a hard launch. I went 12.90's at 106.5 with a terrible 60' and no idea (really) how to tune or drive the car (not to say I do now anyways :D )

Good luck.
:cool:

Thanks for the help, I am going to upgrade from Stge 4 to either a Stge 5 or PT-52, and ideas?

If I sell it, I will let you know. When I upgrade, it will probably go in my other car.

I have the same problem as turbojorge. I also run a turbonetics, but can't get any concrete info from them. I get send to us and we'll see hat you have or take it apart and measure the inducer.

So by going through some info and the little help they gave I have a 60 series turbo,p-trim,.82 housing. I can't get this thing to build boost to save my life! I have a 2800 12" converter and it doesn't move until at least the 60' mark.

I'm sure with a 3000 9" it'd be killer or a 3200 10" would suffice. I picked up 31 mph on the top end of my best et 12.7@114 my 1/8 mph was 83 and change. I am in the process of trying to locate a turbonetics .63 housing or trade for a 44 or 51 with a .63 housing. Reason for me wanting a turbonetics housing is the ext. WG provision which i'm switching too. You need some serious converter for this thing to spool. If I didn't just spend money on the 2800 12" I'd spring for a 9/11 or a 10" 3200. If I can't find one for cheap(not worth the money turbnetics charges) it's up for sale or trade. Really haven't swapped housing on turbos yet so I wanna stay away from that. thanx, sorry for hijacking the post!

Pete

You know, I think you should swap exhaust housings. It's what I was going to do with mine before I came accross the TE-44 that I just couldn't pass up.

Switching to a garret .63 will help the spool and give ya lots more torque out of the box. Just get a stock garret .63, which is the same one of our stock turbo and have them machine it for a stage 3 exhaust wheel. I ended up going that route with my 44 and I 60' in the high 1.60's with a 10psi launch and 26" tires. I have the same 2,800 stall 12".

It might be worth a try.

BTW, 31 mph from 1/8th to 1/4 is killer! What egt's were you seeing? 114 is good for a high 11's.

:cool:

I don't have an egt gauge, however my o2's were quite rich(800's) on that run. I know it's got at least7psi left in it, it really is a monster up top. I may just break down and call turbonetics for their .63 housing.

A turbonetics .63 is acctually equal to an garret .82. If you look at the exhaust housing you have right now, it should say ".63 " on it (if its a cheetah stage 3 turbo). It's acctually a .82 in size.

Get a stock GN exhaust housing used ($50) and have them machine it to fit tightly on a stage 3 exhaust wheel (another $50). Give them the turbo so they can measure. It what I did with my TE-44. I be looking for some 11.50-11.60's now with the new front mount and 28" tires.

From the limited info I get from turbonetics it is a stage III p trim, but according to the site it should have a .63 housing. Now I know that their housing differ from the common one however it doesn't say .63 on it. Where the header flange is it says .82 a/r then has the T logo after it. If I read your post correctly they list the .63 housing but it actually is an .82. Now that being said their .82 housing what's that equivalent too, a .96. The housing is fairly wide

What I can't figure out is the the compressor looks very tiny even the housing is quite small, but there is a decent pitch on it though. Why someone would put a very large housing on it with a stock stall converter(old converter). So my question is that if this is their .63 housing(even though it says .82 on it), I assume that they don't make a smaller housing for GN applications, what's the next step. The new housing is $192 and they swap it for free.

I don't know if it's as simple as taking the old housing off and putting the new one on. The other thing I'm worried is losing all that topend power. By going to a smaller housing I will have all the low end power I need, but how much will I lose on the top end.

If you have an .82, then I do suppose it is equivalent to a .96. I know that their .63 is equivalent to a .82 for a fact.

It's simple, find a garret .63 of a stock GN/TTA turbo and have them open it up so it will fit your stage III exhaust wheel. Your turbo has the same exhaust wheel as my 44, a stage III exhaust wheel. And yes you prolly will lose some top end, but if you are worried about ET then torque down low is a must.

Also, I found that tuning is much easier with the smaller exhaust housing. You tend to start running out of fuel up top with the big housing, unless your chip is dialed for much more fuel up top.

thanxfor the info. I am looking into either a swap for a te44/.63(precision) or swapping a .63 housing onto this turbo. thanx again for the input

PETE