You can type here any text you want

chevy 305

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

jimski

In over my head
I know it is not a v-6 231 like i have in my 87 nash but i need some help.The engine in my 83 caprice that i use to haul building materials around in has a rebuilt engine in it and the tag on it says sequel corp. I was wondering if anyone could decifer the tag to tell me what they have done to the block.I would like to rebuild it my self and im not sure what exactly was done to it.
The tag has a serial number which is 4312424604 and there is a mod# number which is fdscv305acp The company that rebuilt the motor was sequel corp Any help would be greatly apreciated.

Try to get in touch with the builder they should have a build sheet. First pull the pan and make sure there is not any sleeves or weld marks .some builders are chitty. Might be cheaper to buy one compared to rebuilding what you have. good luck

Try to get in touch with the builder they should have a build sheet. First pull the pan and make sure there is not any sleeves or weld marks .some builders are chitty. Might be cheaper to buy one compared to rebuilding what you have. good luck

Looks good all around no welds no sleeves The engine ran strong when running. I rebuilt the top half of the engine carb intake cam lifters rebuilt heads and all that ..A few days ago fianally started making noise(afer about 1 year). Pulled the engine out and allapart everything looks ok inside.Then my neihbor walks up and picks up the flywheel and he discovers it is cracked :mad: (there is my noise)too late now it is in a million peices So i figure to be on the safe side i mine as well install new rings bearings oil pump while all apart.All the stuff is cheap for a chevy:biggrin:

I just need to know what size rings,bearings ect...But since it has been rebuilt allready they may have bored the block out.Can somone help decifer the tag or tell me what i should do to get the proper bearings and rings .I have a digital caliper. Thanks so much.

Look at the size on the back of the bearings. also check for size stamps on pistons .I would take to a machine shop and have them measure everything unless you have all the tools.

Look at the size on the back of the bearings. also check for size stamps on pistons .I would take to a machine shop and have them measure everything unless you have all the tools.

^what he said^.
does it have flat top or dish pistons in it?
under size bearings will say something like ".010" on them, and oversize pistons will have a ".020" or "20" stamped into them if they are .020 oversize.
i'd assume the cam is just the generic small block replacement cam with .390 and .410 lift. this is actually a very good cam for a daily driver that needs to get good gas mileage.
if you want to know if you have anything special like 305HO heads or something, then head to Mortec Home Page: Chevy Engine Codes and look up the head and block casting numbers.
when it is time to screw it back together, get a gasket kit that comes with thin shim style head gaskets- they are worth about a point of compression over the thicker head gaskets. Mr gasket sells a kit with those gaskets. just spray them with some spray on sealer (permatex makes a gold sealer that goess on liek spray paint) and re-torque the head bolts after a few heat cycles.

here is what is stamped on the pitons can some one help me out and figure what this means

100_0631 (Large).jpg

100_0632 (Large).jpg

The # and the marking there has no use to us. It's something put there by the company that cast the piston. Something for there own referance.

The # and the marking there has no use to us. It's something put there by the company that cast the piston. Something for there own referance.

ok removed the rod cap and bearing here are the numbers on them the main bearings have the same number also

ROD BEARING.jpg

ROD CAP.jpg

looks like standard pistons and .010 undersize rod and crank bearings to me.
but they could be some cheapie aftermarket replacement pistons that don't use the normal oversize markings like i'm used to seeing.
actually, looking at the pics again, those pistons have the same funny mark on them as the bearings- so they are definitely some cheapie aftermarket pistons and are probably at least .020 over.
if you don't have any sort of measuring tools, take a piston to a machine shop and measure it. that will clear everything up.

looks like standard pistons and .010 undersize rod and crank bearings to me.
but they could be some cheapie aftermarket replacement pistons that don't use the normal oversize markings like i'm used to seeing.
actually, looking at the pics again, those pistons have the same funny mark on them as the bearings- so they are definitely some cheapie aftermarket pistons and are probably at least .020 over.
if you don't have any sort of measuring tools, take a piston to a machine shop and measure it. that will clear everything up.

I have a digital caliper handy.I can post a pic of the measurment

I could just get the same bearings with the 010 mark on them.The piston rings on the other hand how do i get them in the correct size.Machine shops are hard to find around here for some weird reason...When i removed the pistons the a few top rings just fell apart.

Just measured the top of the piston and they all measure 3.747 "
that would be a standard bore piston, i think. 3.736 is the stock bore size, and the piston will be a few thousandths smaller.
what is the size at the piston skirt? pistons are actually slightly oval shaped and not perfectly round..

why not get a tired 350 that still runs and rebuild it for less than 200 bucks?

200 not in this neck of the woods and on top of that you really do not know what youre getting till you open youre present up.The 305 was running great found out later the flywheel was cracked but allready took apart the engine.Did the top half of the engine about a year ago heads cam lifters ect...while apart i mine as well fix the bottom for less than $100 bearings rings oil pump.I have a gasket kit allready..
Im really trying to find out what i need to put it back togheter now like ring size bearing size ect...since it apears to rebuilt by sequel corp...

that would be a standard bore piston, i think. 3.736 is the stock bore size, and the piston will be a few thousandths smaller.
what is the size at the piston skirt? pistons are actually slightly oval shaped and not perfectly round..

The piston bore size is 3.767..the top of the piston is 3.744.What rings will i need to put this back togheter

a complete re ring kit is 109$ at flatlander racing, that would be the way I would go....

comes with just about everything you need to finish it for quick.

:biggrin: A.j.

here is what is stamped on the pitons can some one help me out and figure what this means

100_0631 (Large).jpg

Jim, talking a stab here I believe this is supposed to indicate which way the piston has to face in the block.

My memory is a bit clouded but when I built a 396 bbc once I recall there was a dot on the piston that had to face the front of the block.

Now what the 2 and the 407 mean I don't know.

Sorry I couldn't be of anymore help.

Thanks to all for trying to help me out on this .I trurned over the crank and pistons to machine shop today.They are going to cut the crank and he is going to give me correct bearings for the whole deal even the correct piston rings for all the pistons,i have to install everything which im well capable of doing.He is going to cut the crank install the correct rings give me all the correct bearings (rod-crank) for 195 bucks :).I must have called 100 places today and out of all that 1 place was willing to help.This is becoming a dying art i see.I had to drive 40 miles to get there:eek: but was worth it.

Back