Chevy 6.5 turbo deisel

ngc414

Just courious if anyone knew if they are good engines and what to look for. I found a decent deal on a 95 truck with one. It has about 160k miles on it.
Mostly just plan to use it in the winter and pull a trailer every once in a while.

Just courious if anyone knew if they are good engines and what to look for. I found a decent deal on a 95 truck with one. It has about 160k miles on it.
Mostly just plan to use it in the winter and pull a trailer every once in a while.

I wish I had a buck for every injector pump I put on those since 1995!!! Not to be a smart ass, unless it's real cheap, real clean, I'd steer clear. Pumps, nozzles, cat converters, cracked heads, etc.... just my two cents. Phil.

Not to mention head gaskets and webbing cracking in the block. Worked in a stop that repaired diesels, the 6,5 kept us quite busy. Personally I own A Dodge with a Cummins, A lot more reliable.

The 95 6.5 is ok. the big problem is the pump driver module that is bolted to the side of the pump and the optical sensor. Lots of pumps replaced because of those two replacable parts. I would want all maintence records. Ask them if the cooling system has been upgraded. That year still had the low volume pump and clutch and single thermostat. You can relocate the pdm module so you dont have to take the intake off every time it goes bad.The early 6.5 had problems because of the overheating. My dads blue one has just under 400,000 miles and the red one has 175,000 they are both 97 models. Install the cold air kit and get the kennedy exhaust and boost controller and you wont be disappointed. Price for that year if no upgrades are done is about $2500 to $3500. If the guy says anything mention all the above. If the upgrades have been done then between $4500 and $6000 unless its really really clean then the price climbs higher