Chicago Area V6 Turbo Mechanic

Not Avg 6,

What did the problem turn out to be, just out of curiosity. Was it your buick they worked on?

Jeff C
87 T

I'm in Mokena, I work on TB's out of my garage. If your looking for tuning and troubleshooting, I will out perform any local shop. Just ask the members who know me.;) PM if interested.

Rick

Not Avg 6,

What did the problem turn out to be, just out of curiosity. Was it your buick they worked on?

Jeff C
87 T

Yeah it was my GN. I went with GN1 heads and Poston's headers. They used the stock bolts for the headers and one of them being to long for the GN1's busted into one of the oil valleys, causing oil to leak into my exhaust. Which in turn caused all the smoking,spark plug fouling, ect... Had to send the heads back to Champion to get repaired. Speed came up with a bunch of excuses of course.The worst thing for me was when I went to pick it up and it wasn't right. I could not even attempt to drive it home. With the hood up and stranded, they were driving by me going to lunch looking with no assistance. I had to go in there and borrow and phone book to look up a tow company to get home. Also had a bad maf when I got it home which was good when I drove the car over 50 miles there. ??? Great customer service. Just my .02

this really sucks

All i can say is this really sucks,i wonder if they changed ownership that caused this to happen.

they are starting to sound like are buddy from Street Performance:eek:

Well im sure Speed Inc. has a very good explanation for this...:rolleyes: It's just taking a loooonnng time to reply.:eek:

Mike is a cool guy with a very nice GN. Each time I met him he was wiping off the dust that he thought was there.:D From the looks of it you can tell he puts plenty of coin into it. So I can't see why they left him hanging like that. Sucks, but his car is in good shape now.

This was several years ago, so I would be a liar if I said I remember all the details of this deal, but I can tell you that we have been a brick-and-mortar business for 10 years now, and even in this economic climate, are still doing well. We wouldnt still be here if that was the way this operation was run.

That being said.....when modifying cars, things arent always perfect and some things may have happened without my knowledge or realization. Mike, I just sent you an email.

All i can say is this really sucks,i wonder if they changes ownership that caused this to happen.

they are starting to sound like are buddy from Street Performance:eek:

I spent a lot of time at Street Performance. I know Gary and his Son very well. They bent over backwards for me on several occasions, and I learned alot from them. I have had my diffrences with many, but know good people when I see them. I also saw many "new comers", people that lacked the complete understanding of the reason of the final bill, or damage they inflicted on their own car blame them of being unfair. I also know that if a guy walks in to a speed shop, or any other business looking to turn a profit with $$$ floating over his head you can bet he's going to take a hit if he isn't paying attention and knows his stuff. Thats like a guy going to divorce court looking like he's rich then crying when the Judge slaps it to him. I know some of you in Chicago have had "unhappy" dealings with him from previous post but I haven't heard any actual explanitions. Mike backed up his opinon, can you back up yours?

Well im sure Speed Inc. has a very good explanation for this...:rolleyes: It's just taking a loooonnng time to reply.:eek:

Mike is a cool guy with a very nice GN. Each time I met him he was wiping off the dust that he thought was there.:D From the looks of it you can tell he puts plenty of coin into it. So I can't see why they left him hanging like that. Sucks, but his car is in good shape now.

Thumbs up. :cool:

I'm in Mokena, I work on TB's out of my garage. If your looking for tuning and troubleshooting, I will out perform any local shop. Just ask the members who know me.;) PM if interested.

Rick

Rick is a stand up guy and knows these cars as well as anyone. I would highly recommend him or several other Chicago area guys I know. I'm also willing to help anyone out in need. I've taken my car apart and put it back together probably 100 times (at least it feels like it) and have owned it since 97' so I know a few things.

I personally never used street performance but that being said my buddy from childhood ended up using them to due a rear wheel disc brake transplant
on his gn in 97.Because ans had no opening for that week,at the end of the day we still ended up going back to ans and paying twice for the same job due POOR workmenship from street performance.

I personally never used street performance but that being said my buddy from childhood ended up using them to due a rear wheel disc brake transplant
on his gn in 97.Because ans had no opening for that week,at the end of the day we still ended up going back to ans and paying twice for the same job due to POOR workmenship from street performance.

what about ASSC Racing in Lake Bluff,i never used them but other guys on this forum has and was happy with them?

on his gn in 97.Because ans had no opening for that week,at the end of the day we still ended up going back to ans and paying twice for the same job due POOR workmenship from street performance.

Thank You... but just as I expected:
1. You didn't have the work done...a "friend" did.
2. What did ANS do that SP didn't that would justify the same charge again. Sounds like it was driveable, was it not?
3. Did he ask Gary to fix it and get denied or did he just send it to ANS and say "Please fix it, I dont think its right and I will pay you."?

Diaz, I have met you too! Another cool guy with a nice GN!:cool: I don't really expect you to answer these questions(but feel free) yet just proves my point of vauge infomation. Especially 12 year old incidents. Not to say they don't matter but come on...:rolleyes:

Do you have an address or phone number for ProTrac?
Can't find them on the web. Joliet is pretty close to me.

Thanks for all the additional input. I'm trying to make as infromed a decision as I can on where to take the car.

Web site not working for Aggressive Auto?

Pro-Trac Turbo Specialties
24006 Keith Allen Drive
Elwood, IL 60421
Dennis Butt owner
815-723-2530
PROTSRACE@AOL.COM

Can any of you guys do the work your self?

And all this from a car thats not even broke??

I remember Tom from speedInc (if he still runs it) was playing with GNs long before most of the members of this site and he always had killer cars that ran hard.

I can't comment on what comes out of the shop though..

I sure can! But, some can't. The thing is being able to know right from wrong. When you're being overcharged, mislead, or paying for them to experiment with your car. I know I can get on the floor to swap a trans and converter, or dorp it off and have it done for a reasonable price. I don't have the lift, air tools, heat,etc. at home like I do at work. Spoils me to a point where the weather has to be darn near perfect for me to spend hours doing the simple R&R work.:eek:

i do all my own work all i cant do is machining of the engine and alignments cuz i dont have space or money for all that machinery.

i just rebuilt my trans my self:biggrin:. now i am going to take my engine apart and look at the cam and the bearings as i have the flat tappet 260h comp cam and see if it is starting to wipe out or did already......