Chicago / Indiana Ice Roads!

scot w.

GNSperformance.com
Our trip home from Wisc. started out at 4:00am on friday. While loading our 2005 4x4 Tahoe up with all our luggage & gifts, pillows & blankets for the kids it started with some light freezing rain. I thought, "No big deal" as it was just real light so we headed south down I-94 and when we got to the second toll entering into chicago I almost slid completely through the toll..:eek: So we kept on truckin on COMPLETE ICE!!! and when we got to the Indiana toll (I-90) traffic was at a complete stand still.. ( They closed I-90 Indiana toll interstate completely) at this point we counted over 25 accidents and whitnessed half of them. Unfortunetly I had a spot right next to me during this stand still that I could turn back around and head back so I turned around headed back into chicago paid the tolls again got back on I-94 S and got on I-57 S and that really wasn't any better but it wasn't closed!! So we went down I-57 to US-30 and took US-30 over to I-65 S. Well once we arrived at I-65 we noticed they had completely shut down Interstate I-65 also!!! :mad: Now we decided to get out and eat so I turned around in a Mall parking lot and when I hit the brakes in the parking lot to look at the Nuvi navigation unit I slid 17 parking spaces before coming to a stop!! :eek:

Well after eating I decided to try US-41 south. Well we made it there and it was moving pretty good and was salted for the most part. We then made it to a US hwy that went into Renneseller Indiana and WHOOOO I-65 was open and we were now back on track!

Some of you might be thinking "why didn't he just pull off and stay over night?" Well if you payed attention and went very slow and drove with your right tire off on the shoulder it was okay. I never wiped out or went into a spin and kept ALOT of distance between the car in front of me. I was constantly worried about the cars behind me more than anything. Staying over night crossed my mind but I was confident we would be able to make it safe.

Long story short, A normal 10hr trip ended up taking 15 straight hours of driving through the longest road icing that iv'e ever seen!!! We got into KY and the weather was 64* at 5:30 pm :biggrin:

Weather today is supposed to be 70* :biggrin: Happy to be home safe/not wrecked/ not stranded...

PS: Guy's CHICAGO/INDIANA can you please fill me in on the details of all the wrecks and all the hwy's that were closed and when they opened up! The news here hasn't posted anything about it.

Scot W.

Our trip home from Wisc. started out at 4:00am on friday. While loading our 2005 4x4 Tahoe up with all our luggage & gifts, pillows & blankets for the kids it started with some light freezing rain. I thought, "No big deal" as it was just real light so we headed south down I-94 and when we got to the second toll entering into chicago I almost slid completely through the toll..:eek: So we kept on truckin on COMPLETE ICE!!! and when we got to the Indiana toll (I-90) traffic was at a complete stand still.. ( They closed I-90 Indiana toll interstate completely) at this point we counted over 25 accidents and whitnessed half of them. Unfortunetly I had a spot right next to me during this stand still that I could turn back around and head back so I turned around headed back into chicago paid the tolls again got back on I-94 S and got on I-57 S and that really wasn't any better but it wasn't closed!! So we went down I-57 to US-30 and took US-30 over to I-65 S. Well once we arrived at I-65 we noticed they had completely shut down Interstate I-65 also!!! :mad: Now we decided to get out and eat so I turned around in a Mall parking lot and when I hit the brakes in the parking lot to look at the Nuvi navigation unit I slid 17 parking spaces before coming to a stop!! :eek:

Well after eating I decided to try US-41 south. Well we made it there and it was moving pretty good and was salted for the most part. We then made it to a US hwy that went into Renneseller Indiana and WHOOOO I-65 was open and we were now back on track!

Some of you might be thinking "why didn't he just pull off and stay over night?" Well if you payed attention and went very slow and drove with your right tire off on the shoulder it was okay. I never wiped out or went into a spin and kept ALOT of distance between the car in front of me. I was constantly worried about the cars behind me more than anything. Staying over night crossed my mind but I was confident we would be able to make it safe.

Long story short, A normal 10hr trip ended up taking 15 straight hours of driving through the longest road icing that iv'e ever seen!!! We got into KY and the weather was 64* at 5:30 pm :biggrin:

Weather today is supposed to be 70* :biggrin: Happy to be home safe/not wrecked/ not stranded...

PS: Guy's CHICAGO/INDIANA can you please fill me in on the details of all the wrecks and all the hwy's that were closed and when they opened up! The news here hasn't posted anything about it.

Scot W.

I experienced the samething on Tuesday. A five hour trip from Chicago to Detroit, turned into a 10 hour fun filled icey ride!

I got caught in January, 1989 in Missouri. I had been at my Granddad's funeral in ILL. I was going back to Colo. I was in the Grand National. It was not fun.

Just about the whole state of Indiana was shut down Tuesday because of the ice. I know that I-69, I-70, and I-465 were turned into big-ass parking lots. The state po-po eased up at about 9pm, the temperature began to climb and the ice turned to rain and cleared up the roads..........on a side note, every bodyshop in the area is booked full.

Scot W.

Drivers urged to avoid Toll Road | The Journal Gazette

Dozens crash as storm turns roads to rinks | The Journal Gazette

Travel nightmare | IndyStar.com | The Indianapolis Star

Statewide roundup: 7 dead | IndyStar.com | The Indianapolis Star

Oh yeah, there was ice. More than half an inch. :eek: Right now it's 66°. Stupid weather...

Attachments

• DSC03867a.jpg
    DSC03867a.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 141
We had about 2-3" of snow Thursday night, then sleet very early Friday morning that turned that 2-3" into a block of ice. It definately made things crappy all week as it didn't get warm enough to melt it until we got some rain last night.

Last Sunday afternoon, -40 with the windchill. This Saturday afternoon, only 6 days later, it was 58 out.... go figure. :rolleyes:

We had about 2-3" of snow Thursday night, then sleet very early Friday morning that turned that 2-3" into a block of ice. It definately made things crappy all week as it didn't get warm enough to melt it until we got some rain last night.

Last Sunday afternoon, -40 with the windchill. This Saturday afternoon, only 6 days later, it was 58 out.... go figure. :rolleyes:

Hope you don't get any flooding!

Hope you don't get any flooding!

We are basically high and dry where we are at, but there is some pretty bad flooding within 10 miles of us.

Felt kind of strange last night to let the dog out before bed and there is still snow on the ground. Few hours later, get woken up by some pretty serious thunder and lightning.

Chicago has been a mess especially since they've decided to help the city budget by not plowing/salting the streets as often. Lucikly the warm weather today melted most of the snow that we've been piling up for the last few weeks.