You can type here any text you want

Chip and Tranny Relationship

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

turbojustin

Ninja
I just completed a hotair/coolair swap. Before the swap the tranny worked fine and now the tranny is having shifting problems. My chip is a used ultachip that seems to have a short in the wires. If I don't have the wires positioned just right the check engine light will flash and sometimes the car will stall out.

My symptoms are difficult to describe, but basically it gets out of 1st early and then redlines 2nd before shifting to 3rd. However, it isn't always like this. It seems to depend on throttle position. Sometimes it redlines first too.

Anyway, could my chip be affecting my tranny in this way? I have already adjusted and replaced the tv cable with no luck. Is it worth my time to change the chip?

The chip does nothing to control the transmission directly. I don't know if irratic engine behavior can cause problems, but I have not experienced it myself and I have had some irratic behavior due to faulty chip connections.

I would definitely sort out the chip issues, regardless of the transmission problems. Especially if you have over 30 lb injectors and no spare chips, etc, because you don't have a viable limp home mode.

Tom

The chip only RECEIVES 4 pieces of info from the tranny/switch.

Park/Neutral
In Gear (not park/neutral)
3rd gear
4th gear

I does not interface with the tranny and has NO control over it.
Something else has gone wrong in your swap.

The chip only RECEIVES 4 pieces of info from the tranny/switch... [SNIP]

Not entirely true. The chip DOES control torque converter lock-up. When driving conditions are right, the chip/ECM sends an electrical signal to the transmission which engages the torque converter clutch solenoid. So, the chip could be screwing that up.

However, your shifting problems do not seem to have anything to do with torque converter lock-up. Sounds like an internal trans problem.

Or the TV cable is not from the IC intake and isnt the right length/doesnt pull correctly to actuate the TV valve properly.

Had that recently at work where a guy swapped a 350 into a truck that HAD a 6 and 700R4. The thing kept burning transes till we checked pressure and found the TV cable wasnt right for the applicaton. Put in the right one, set pressures and hasnt had a prob since.

Back