You can type here any text you want

clearance between oil pickup and pan?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

TType85

TurboBuick.Com Supporter!
How much clearance is there between the oil pick up and the pan usually? I am going to be dropping the pan in my car and I noticed it is dented pretty bad (was deepened about 1", pickup extended the same)

How much clearance is there between the oil pick up and the pan usually? I am going to be dropping the pan in my car and I noticed it is dented pretty bad (was deepened about 1", pickup extended the same)
I took my stock shortblock apart a while ago the way it came from gm and the pick up was 1/2" from the bottom of the pan. I have read that some people like it closer to 1/4" of clearance. I recently put a new engine together with 1/4" pick up to pan clearance and have run the car a lot and quite hard with no issues

the center part of the pan looks to be about 1/4" dented in vs the edges. I might just order up a RJC pan on monday. Melling or Speedpro for a replacement pickup?

the center part of the pan looks to be about 1/4" dented in vs the edges. I might just order up a RJC pan on monday. Melling or Speedpro for a replacement pickup?
I would just take the dent out and save yourself some money.

I would just take the dent out and save yourself some money.

I'll make the call when I get it off. I am not a huge fan of some of the work the guy who built the motor did.

1/4" is a good clearance for a wet sump application. Put a plastic bag over the pickup and an ball of modeling clay on the bag. Bolt the oil pan in place and let it deform the clay. Measure the clay.

1/4" is a good clearance for a wet sump application. Put a plastic bag over the pickup and an ball of modeling clay on the bag. Bolt the oil pan in place and let it deform the clay. Measure the clay.

x2

I recently went thru this excercise after installing an RJC deep sump oil pan. I installed their pick up extension and installed the pick up with saran wrap and modeling clay to verify my clearance. Bolted the pan on hand tight (don't forget to use a gskt) and found the pick up was .700" away from pan bottom! Thats' way too much....almost 3/4" Yikes!

Had to have an extension block machined to the right dimension to be able to finally get it to just over 1/4" (.250"). Don't forget to keep in mind that the pan gasket will compress after a few heat cycles and tightening the pan bolts.

1kwiksix,
I have run into the same problem with RJC pans. I gave up on the aluminum spacers and started making custom oil pickup tubes.

I prefer to have my oil pickup higher off the pan......wouldn't want it to hit peices of thrust bearing down there.....lol

Finally got the pan off tonight. Here is how it looked:
pan1.jpgpan2.jpg

I will have to pound it out tomorrow. It should just be flat across the bottom correct?

I did notice that the guy who did this pan also put a baffle in the front, made it a bit harder to drop the pan but I know oil will be down at the sump when I break hard :P

Finally got the pan off tonight. Here is how it looked:
View attachment 159629View attachment 159630

I will have to pound it out tomorrow. It should just be flat across the bottom correct?

I did notice that the guy who did this pan also put a baffle in the front, made it a bit harder to drop the pan but I know oil will be down at the sump when I break hard :p
I would measure how far the pick up drops down and then pound accordingly to get your 1/4" clearance. The pan actually looks pretty good. I would use it for sure.

I would measure how far the pick up drops down and then pound accordingly to get your 1/4" clearance. The pan actually looks pretty good. I would use it for sure.

Have to stop at the art store tomorrow and pick some up. Is the cork gasket (Duttweiler one) similar thickness as the blue felpro? I thought I had one, but it was a rubber felpro one and it will take a day or two to get one shipped here. I'm also going to order up a set of HR mounts, there won't be a easier time to do them unless I pull the motor later :P

The other good thing is nothing unusual in the pan except the part I went in to get out of there anyways (cap screw from the front cover).

how easily should it be to move the rods on the crank (forward and back)?

Rods should move front to back very easy. About .010 to .015 clearance between rod and cheek of the crank.

Have to stop at the art store tomorrow and pick some up. Is the cork gasket (Duttweiler one) similar thickness as the blue felpro? I thought I had one, but it was a rubber felpro one and it will take a day or two to get one shipped here. I'm also going to order up a set of HR mounts, there won't be a easier time to do them unless I pull the motor later :p

Just a suggestion for a method without having to go to the art store. Get a straightedge. Put it across the block with the pan off. measure to the bottom of the pickup. Then put the straightedge across the pan (I put it on the "knobs", or otherwise just add 1/8") and measure this distance. Subtract the two and you have your clearance. No clay needed.

Back