You can type here any text you want

Clearance issues with big brakes

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

D's GN

Hey guys, anybody have clearance issues with a bolt on kit such as Baer or Willwood which pushes the spindle approx. 1/2" to the outside fender, tire scrubb issues?

The reason I ask is when ordering a set of 7" wide by 4" backspace wheels for the front and lower the car 2.5+ inches I know it will not rub, if I add the big brakes later I may run into serious rubbing issues, should I order rims with an extra 1/4-1/2" BS to be safe?

My $.02..

Some "big brakes" require wheels that are of a larger diameter, IE: 17". I'd be sure that's not the issue w/ the new brakes. [Unless you want an excuse to get new wheels.];)
Also, adding B/S can move the tires so far into the wheel well, that they will drag on the inner fender, when turning. This will become a more serious problem, with the car being lowered as far as you say you are going.

Hey guys, anybody have clearance issues with a bolt on kit such as Baer or Willwood which pushes the spindle approx. 1/2" to the outside fender, tire scrubb issues?

The reason I ask is when ordering a set of 7" wide by 4" backspace wheels for the front and lower the car 2.5+ inches I know it will not rub, if I add the big brakes later I may run into serious rubbing issues, should I order rims with an extra 1/4-1/2" BS to be safe?

Here is a situation I have with lowering, big brakes, and big rims on the front of the car.

Tlowered.jpg

I have 8.5 inch rims (4.32 inches of backspacing and 245/45/17s) with the Stage 2 suspension kit from SC&C. I believe my stock saggy springs are the biggest problem as the front dropped about 1.5 inches with the Stage 2 kit and saggy springs. However, the Baer brakes added 1/8 inch to the track...and only the very outer edge of my tires rub. If they were another 1/8 inch inwards, they would not rub.

I don't think with a seven inch rim you will have a problem, other than it may look really small tucked in on a lowered car (IMO).

If I had to order baer brakes again, I would order the S/S series which let you run a 15 inch rim. With the brakes I have, I am stuck to a seventeen inch rim. It would be nice to throw some 15 inch big and skinnies on every now and then for a different look. However, with the track system, I have to run big rims.

Chuck brought up all very valid concerns for you too. If I had to do it again, I would run 8 inch wide fronts with 4.5 backspacing and I would not have any problems. Since I do not want to buy two more Simmons wheels, I will put replacement springs on the car and bring the front end height up some more.

Back