clone ?

fastlikeanascar

Its never fast enough !!
If I run a carfax & it doesnt say turbo does tht mean its a clone ? This is what I got when I ran it..

1987 BUICK REGAL
1G4GJ1175HP424446
COUPE 3.8L V6 SFI OHV
REAR WHEEL DRIVE

Some of the number/letters in your vin code should designate the turbo. I think "J" is one of them. I'm by no means a vin# guru. Perhaps someone else can chime in.

As mentioned: vin character 8 being a 7 makes it a turbo. That is a turbo VIN. There is quite a bit of variance as to what the title may or may not say: IE Regal, Regal T-Type, Grand National etc. My t-type is listed as "2 Door Regal" on the title.

Ditto on the 8th digit of the VIN. The 8th digit is the engine code on ALL the G body cars. The 84-85 turbos used 9 as the turbo engine code and the 86-87 cars used the 7 as the turbo engine code. Also the letters SFI: Sequential Fuel Injection. Don't know of many N/A care that were fuel injected. FWIW

Mine also comes up as 2 Door Regal on my title info but it is a GN and have the original window sticker to prove it if the 8th digit is a 7 as stated above it is a turbo car

My title says "Regal CP" but it is a GN. The only thing that matters, the 8th digit is a 7 and my insurance agent has a copy of the appraisal so if anything happens I am (fairly to me) reimbursed without any hassles or games of them claiming the car is "just a Regal".

My title says "Regal CP" but it is a GN. The only thing that matters, the 8th digit is a 7 and my insurance agent has a copy of the appraisal so if anything happens I am (fairly to me) reimbursed without any hassles or games of them claiming the car is "just a Regal".

Regardless of your apraisal, if your policy is not "agreed", there will be games and hassles for sure....

Ditch the "stated" policy and get "agreed" value. Although your appraisal is a good value argument tool to have on your behalf, the insurance company will just find a bunch of crappy TR's as comparables which will kill the overall valuation of your car. Read you policy, you will not get that appraised value without a fight ( even then its highly unlikely) unless you go "agreed" Hope this sheds some light:)

I neglected to say my insurance is agreed upon value directly with my agent. I just got socked with a huge insurance bill due to a billing issue on their end. I called to get it worked out and the woman on the phone actually made a comment about the amount the car was covered to. Its not a daily, it lives most its life in a garage and the limited mileage is also a requirement for my agreed upon value.

I neglected to say my insurance is agreed upon value directly with my agent. I just got socked with a huge insurance bill due to a billing issue on their end. I called to get it worked out and the woman on the phone actually made a comment about the amount the car was covered to. Its not a daily, it lives most its life in a garage and the limited mileage is also a requirement for my agreed upon value.

Smart man:cool: And you see, even then she questioned it...imagine what would happen if it wasnt agreed:(

She wasnt even my agent, she was a corporate person from American Family. My agent had me bring the car to his office so he could sit there and talk about it for an hour, take some pictures, copy my appraisal, agree with the value without argument, then hand me the insurance card.

I feel alot better having it set up this way. No hassle and my life is worth more than my car so if its taken from me, it wont be a huge hassle to get another one. Not that I want that to happen, I spent a lot of time and money on this car restoring it and would be pissed, money or not, if someone took it from me.

Mine also comes up as 2 Door Regal on my title info but it is a GN and have the original window sticker to prove it if the 8th digit is a 7 as stated above it is a turbo car

Same here, title says it's a Regal, vin shows a 7 in the 8th digit.

Let's remember that when GM decided to extend production of the GN through Dec 1987 the "Grand National" became a seperate "Model" because during this time ONLY Grand Nationals were being built. The window stickers on these cars , and most likely the Title reads "Grand National". The earlier built cars were simply Regal Coupes with a $3500 Grand National option. It would make sense that the title on all GN built prior to the end of 87 read "Regals".