You can type here any text you want

"CLUNK!!" from rear end when I put it in drive

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

SPOT MY 6

Stock crawlin National...
Especially when I go from R to D, there is a CLUNK that comes from the rear end. It seems like all GN's do that. Is there any way to tighten it up? The u-joints are good. I will eventually pull the rear end apart to rebuild it. Anything I can do before then or should I not worry about it?

sounds like the U joints, mine was doing that, i changed them, now its nice and quiet, i didnt think it was them either until i took them out and they fell apart in my hands

check u joint play, and also check your tranny mounts. get under the car, and grab the driveshaft and se if you can re create the clunk when you turn it back and forth. If it isn't the u joint, its probably the tranny mount

Hmm... Maybe I will replace them. They arent too expensive anyway. Any certain type I should get? I know I should stay away from the greasable kind since they are weaker......

If it's not the u-joints or trans mount I would look for excessive play in the pinion bearings. You can grab the drive shaft at the rear and move it up and down to see if the pinion shaft moves in relation to the diff.

Also, I once had an axle tube break loose from the diff case which combined with worn out lower control arm bushings allowed the whole wheel to move back and forth in the wheel well when going from reverse to drive, then back again. It was a neet way to freak out my friends. Also steered the car when on and off the gas. Made a clunking sound too. Too many high boost lauches on bad control arm bushings I guess. Just things to check. :D

Some guys have said that their GN did it when new. I know mine does it and my u-joints are good.

I'd have to agree with scottyb too. If you don't find anything I wouldn't worry about it if it's not severe.

Don't worry about it...my 87 GN has done that since I bought it new...I've replaced the U-joints and no difference...just another characteristic of these cars...like oil leaks...strange engine sounds...etc

A worn sun shell in the trans will clunk too, disregard this if your sure its past the transmission.

Well I went under the car and twisted the driveshaft back and forth. The u-joints turn with the d/s like they should. I can re-make the sound slighly with my hand by twisting the driveshaft quickly and it is definitly comming from the rear end. It sounds like there is play between the gears and they slam into each other when the car is put in drive. What do you think about this?

Mine has been doing that since I've had it (7yrs) and never a problem. I used to worry about it but I don't now. I figured that if it's on it's way out I'm just gonna drive hard it till it breaks. But it hasn't.I just have some excessive gear lash. I even reused the same gears when I put an Eaton in it. I can deal with the CLANG!:p

i have the same noise...mine is LOUD when i put it in reverse or 1st...

i have the stock ds and ujoints still...but they are being changed because i think my ujoints are bad...i am hearing a wuh....wuh...wuh...wuh...wuh sound from that area when i drive the car...my car has done the clank noise since i've had it at 25k miles...

Back