You can type here any text you want

Code 51

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

turbov6joe

Signal 1 J-12
Other then the chip going bad, what else would cause the SES to throw a code 51? What would cause the chip to all of the sudden take a crap? I'm driving home last night and the SES flickers but goes out....drive some more it goes on a little longer then goes out.... just about to the driveway it goes on and stays on...all the while the motor is barely able to stay running:confused: When it was flickering the motor would stumble then come alive, when the light was out it was running fine....suggestions?

Take out the chip and look over all the pins on the chip and in the socket. One of them could be bent a little and starting to make a bad connection.

Take out the chip and look over all the pins on the chip and in the socket. One of them could be bent a little and starting to make a bad connection.

Pulled the chip and all the pins looked to be in order. Replaced the chip with a spare and the car fired right up...no SES light:rolleyes: Did the chip really go bad after many months of working just fine:confused:

Anything is possible - was that you in that video on TV last week in the car being struck by lightning? :-) :-) Can you try your chip in another car, or I guess send it back to Eric and let him check it.

That's funny you should mention lightning striking a car. A few weeks ago I got called out to the highway to work a "motorist assist". I got there and immediately notice that the car has both front tires BLOWN out, the antenna, door handles and both front rims are melted, and the car stinks of burnt wire. I'm talking to the lady that was driving and asked her what the hell happened to her car. She said she was tooling along in the storm that had just blown over and lightning struck her antenna! Everything inside the car that was electrical was fried, cooked, melted, etc...She said she never felt a thing....that's freaking crazy!! Can you imagine? What's nuts is the electricity went through the front wheels to a ground...they were dang near welded to the metal expansion joint in the bridge she was on.

Anyhow, I know with these cars it can be just about anything....that's what 20 year old cars are good for. I'm sending the chip back to Eric to have him take a look.

Mine did this also 2 weeks back, computer was almost too hot to touch. It cooled off some and ran fine, swapped computers with known good one, put my Commander chip in and is running OK ( in that regard) since. We even swapped a different chip in when it was acting up, no change. I take it computers go bad on thier own after a while? :confused:

Back