You can type here any text you want

Coil pack symptoms

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

NorCalTurbos

Slowing down to SPEED UP!!!
What are some symptoms of a bad coil and or module? I'm trying to get to the bottom of this issue

orange spark or no spark, loss of power, struggling on inclines, cracked epoxy in module, water damage from not using a gasket, glowing exhaust from unburned fuel, poor idle, etc.

it could be a number of things. tell us exactly what it is doing? what is the symptom you are experiencing?
it could be a number of things. tell us exactly what it is doing? what is the symptom you are experiencing?
engine shakes a lil like the timing off when I take it out and try to go up the street it stumbles and falls on its face

engine shakes a lil like the timing off when I take it out and try to go up the street it stumbles and falls on its face

Normally, A bad coil pack first displays trouble under load long before the idle is effected. Any local Buick friends nearby? If so, swap yours with theirs for a test along with the other tests recommended in this thread.

However, I believe a good look at a scan tool may show something else is wrong.

Normally, A bad coil pack first displays trouble under load long before the idle is effected. Any local Buick friends nearby? If so, swap yours with theirs for a test along with the other tests recommended in this thread.

However, I believe a good look at a scan tool may show something else is wrong.
It's weird my sm numbers are all within specs for a decent running gn

It's weird my sm numbers are all within specs for a decent running gn
oh and by the way only gn guy near me is a flake he told me he can't work on 84-85 GNs then he tried to sell me a used long block for 1800 missing accessories and all brackets thanks mizzies automotive Fairfield ca. What type of mechanic backs out of a challenge who cares what year or what car??

After chasing this gremlin for almost a year I'm gonna change out the only parts I haven't so far. Like the cam sensor and coil pack and module and see what happens it's time to at least eliminate that

I had the same problem changed the coil pack that wasn't it changed the module bingo problem solved then again it could be a fuel or ignition problem try the basicks first make shore plugs are good wires ,fuel filter make shore have enough fuel pressure etc.

I had the same problem changed the coil pack that wasn't it changed the module bingo problem solved then again it could be a fuel or ignition problem try the basicks first make shore plugs are good wires ,fuel filter make shore have enough fuel pressure etc.
I've gone over and over this car it's gotta be down to the only parts that aren't new it's just become such a pita

As far as the basics been there done that more than twice in just going at the coil and ignition module also cam sensor if that doesn't help

I've gone over and over this car it's gotta be down to the only parts that aren't new it's just become such a pita

Then take a shot and buy the coil-pack and module. I know money is tight for most of us but It's always good to have a spare anyway. Even if it's not......it's bound to go at sometime. You can convert to an 87 style if you haven't already. Or go coil-on-plug and consider it an needed upgrade.

I'm going with the 87 style coil and module can someone tell me what all do I need

Casper's conversion kit (wiring adapter and plate). I would get gm coil packs and module from Highway Stars. A ccci tester from Casper's is a good investment also. Might be a better idea to buy that first before you drop $500 for something you might not need.

Do this:

CSC_0555.JPG

Bruce '87 Grand National

Back