You can type here any text you want

Collector Car Insurance Companies

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
You know I had to bust out the policy:

According to the policy (which is underwritten by Chubb, by the way), they define an "antique auto" as the following:

"a)a private passenger automobile;
B)a land motor vehicle other than a private passenger automobile principally designed for use on a public highway;

- maintained soley for use in exhibitions, club activities, parades or other functions of public interest and is occasionally used foir OTHER PURPOSES"

Thus, my point is, what the hell are "other purposes"? Seems like a vast, amorphous gray area there.

I questioned it when I got the policy and they really couldn't give me an answer.

Rich

oh come on.. Driving to get the car worked on is a whole different then driving it to work. You know that and so does the insurers..
Now what do you think will happen with those two sceaneros? One you would be covered and the other you would not be.

Frank

Originally posted by QuickWE4
Well, I assumed that much, but I read their policy - what is defined as "limited use"? Is it only parades and shows? What if I'm driving down to Dynotech on a monday morning to get a converter installed and somebody t-bones me? That, to me, still falls under limited use.

And what if I decided to take it to work and got t-boned but claimed I was driving to meet up with another TR owner for some tuning?

I'm not complaining because I use their insurance. Just saying that I thought the definition of "limited use" was vague.

Rich

Run it by your lawyer if you have one. The last thing you want is a gray area they can use to stonewall you. Even if you aren't in breach of the policy, it costs like $2500 to retain a lawyer and sue them.

Mike [:-)

Once again:

NATURALLY, driving to a shop to get the car modded is different than driving it to work. I'm pretty sure of that as I haven't had any lobotomies lately. My point is that HOW CAN THEY PROVE EITHER????

If I wreck on 287 North in NJ on a Monday morning and I was driving to Stage 1 automotive (not that I'd have work done there), who says that they wouldn't think I was going to work (since my office happens to be in the same direction)?

I'm simply pointing out that Grundy has a fairly inexpensive policy and good coverage with no mileage restrictions. But "other purposes" is not defined in their policy and it's pretty friggin' stupid because it leaves a LOT of room for interpretation. That, I guess, is up to their adjuster.

Rich

Rich,

All the points you just mentioned were exactly what I was talking about in my previous post. Some of these policies have loopholes big enough to drive a jumbo jet through. Needless to say that if anything happens to your car none of the loopholes will be interpreted to be in the policy holder's favor! The more I hear about collector insurance the less sure I am about whether it is worth the paper it's written on.

All you have to do is have some excuse ready in case something happens.

Driving during weekday:
car was going to shop ( better know the shop well so they will stand by your claim)

I was going to LUBE/OIL CHANGE place.

I was gassing up for cruis night run.

I was getting the car washed

I was thinking about selling it & took it out for photos someplace with a nice background ( instead of the slums I live in :D )

Driving at night:
You are on way to or from Cruise night. (better make sure you have one close to your accident)

Being under 25 myself I had a very hard time finding ANY collector car insurance company that would take me. I have a completely spotless record. Finally, AON (formerly K&K) took me. Good people. This is on my Chevelle though; they wouldn't take the TTA as it isn't 25. :(

K&K is really good on policies. Unlimited mileage for pleasure driving, must have a covered garage, must have another car for a daily driver. However, like 99.9% of all collector insurance companies no taking it to and from work.

I can't say anything good about Hagerty. They initially said "no problem!" but after I got serious they played STUPID games with me for about a week, wasting a lot of my time and my local insurance guy's time until they finally denied me. I know it was because of my age, but they made all sorts of other excuses like "your car is too modified" and my favorite "your daily driver is too old."

Watch out for that one-- 3 companies I tried denied me because my daily driver was more than 10 years old.

Grundy is pretty strict on usage. Unless you're driving to or from a show, you're probably not covered! And local cruise-ins don't count. Their wording is REALLY iffy and gives them a lot of outs.

FWIW, I also have Condon & Skelly covering my '65 Vette 396 roadster. I think they only tolerate me, as the policy lists my dad as the primary. If it was just me they would probably deny me.

My update...

I have a 87 GN daily driver that I just want to cover in case it gets stolen.

The company I work with has a deal with MetLife Auto which has a deal with Condon and Skelly. They only do cars 25 years old or older.

I then called Grundy who said they won't do my daily driver.

Trying Hagerty now...

STOP! PLEASE READ THE FOLLOWING:

Hagerty Insurance insures only collector vehicles. We do not insure vehicles used for daily driving.
:mad:

Is there a company that does appraisals? I remember reading in the GSXTra several years ago about a company that does appraisals on GN's based on mileage, condition, mods, etc. Anyone know who can do this?

and now from Progressive...

Progessive will pay "stated value" or "actual cash value", whichever is "lower".

Lets say your stated value is $15,000.

Car is stolen.

The adjuster will research cars like yours for sale in your area, as well as KBB and NADA.

If the price he comes up with is $7,500, you get $7,500.

If the price he comes up with is anything over the stated value of $15,000, you only get the stated value of $15,000.

FYI, I already heard Geico won't pay more then $7,500 for a GN.

Trying State Farm...

Re: My update...

NO classic car insurance company will insure a daily driver. If they did wouldn't everyone do it?? and not need state farm??
Jeeze..
what is so hard to understand about classic insurance?? ITS NOT FOR EVERYONE, you have to be garaged and prove to not drive it everyday.. There no way around that.

Originally posted by jsta6
I have a 87 GN daily driver that I just want to cover in case it gets stolen.

The company I work with has a deal with MetLife Auto which has a deal with Condon and Skelly. They only do cars 25 years old or older.

I then called Grundy who said they won't do my daily driver.

Trying Hagerty now...

If Tina Turner can insure her legs for $1 million, why can't I insure my car for $15,000...

I don't mind using Geico or Allstate or whoever for PIP, UM, bodily injury liability, property damage, etc.

I just want to pay extra in case my car gets stolen or totaled...

Back