You can type here any text you want

Cometic head gasket installed now leaking water/oil

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
Drain the block if you have a petcock on it. It works better if the water level is below the leak.

I use the Teflon sealant on the studs and screw them into the block. Do not need much but spread it all the way around.

Once together I then drop in a couple of GM seal TABS.

These have always worked for me.

here is a question what is the consensus on the coating on the ARP studs do you remove it with a wire wheel or just spray with brake clean dry and apply sealant of your choice?
I typically remove it.

I use ultra grey on all of the typical trouble spots including the head studs without removing the coating from the studs. Never had a leak but I am curious if the Locktite may have better retention of the studs for re torque....I'm not familiar with the Loctite thread sealer properties so maybe someone could expand on this.

Excluding the studs our local club members seem to have about a 50/50 success rate with the cometics seeping or not.

Last edited:
I always use blue loctite gel on the studs. It just plain works. I clean the studs with lacquer thinner. Chase the threads in the block, spray brake cleaner through them and dry with compressed air. I clean the deck and head surface with lacquer thinner until there is no more dirt being removed. Then use compressed air to blow off any dust and cloth residuals.

The key it having everything clean and dry.

I never see any of these issues.

Last edited:
Youre right Larry and its probably why a lot of people have leaking problems is they don't clean threads and hardware properly. Something that's just as bad is guys using taps and dies to chase threads, this is a big no no, need to use thread chasers as taps and dies are meant to make threads not clean them,

Use gm seal tabs for coolant leaks and as far as oil seepage. Its the nature of the beast with them ime.

99.9% will drain. Teflon pipe sealant or Teflon tape will work.

Motor is running. Cam is broke in. Water leak seem to have stopped. So, as of right now i'm not adding anything to the cooling system. If, it starts back up I will go with the K&W. I found some the other day at Orielly's.

I do however have a couple of oil leaks what looks like coming between the head and the block. Is there anything that can be done to stop them?

It's called K&W block sealer. I bought a can of it. It's not a bottle. Looks like a 16oz can.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

With all due respect I cant subscribe to a product that "fills" cracks, holes etc. What if the product fills a water passage? I don't know, is it worth it?!?

Last edited:
Back