You can type here any text you want

Cometics sealed the first time!

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

jhanson1750

just a 10th quicker
Well folks I got my 86' up and running yesterday.:D I installed cometics and they are leak free. Here is the procedure I used.
1: Seperate layers from one another. (remove rivets)
2: Spray BOTH sides of all layers (should be 3) with Copper coat
3: Install and torque
4: Wait two (2) days
5: One at a time in the torque sequence loosen the studs (or bolts) 1/4 turn and re torque in a smooth even pull!
6: Wait 3 days
7: See step 5
8: Complete assembly and you are ready to go.

This is assuming you have flat decks on the heads and the block. I think the copper coat will deal with some minor imperfections.
I ran mine through 3 heat cycles and am still good. If that change I will post back.

Well folks I got my 86' up and running yesterday.:D I installed cometics and they are leak free. Here is the procedure I used.
5: One at a time in the torque sequence loosen the studs (or bolts) 1/4 turn and re torque in a smooth even pull!

This is assuming you have flat decks on the heads and the block. I think the copper coat will deal with some minor imperfections.
I ran mine through 3 heat cycles and am still good. If that change I will post back.

Congrats and thanks for the info. I'm going to try this before year-end.

Jim

Aren't you worried that the extra material (spray coating) will allow a passage for leaks? I've never had a cometic leak when put on dry. (except when there was a hole in the head lol)

+1

This is the way I do my Cometics minus steps 4-8. If the studs/bolts are new, they must be torque cycled.

Jimmy, this is the way I've been posting.

Billy T.
gnxtc2@aol.com

+1

This is the way I do my Cometics minus steps 4-8. If the studs/bolts are new, they must be torque cycled.

Billy T.
gnxtc2@aol.com

Yep - it sounded familiar. I'll get to doing mine one of these days. I have the parts - need to find the time.

Jim

V6RACER Aren't you worried that the extra material (spray coating) will allow a passage for leaks? I've never had a cometic leak when put on dry. (except when there was a hole in the head lol)

Nope. If you spray something with this stuff there is go way it will leak.

+1

Billy T.
gnxtc2@aol.com

I read EVERYTHING I could about the cometics (Several of your posts Billy) and this is what I came up with. Thanks for helping with info

I went and had my GN inspected today and it passed with flying colors!!:D
Made some 10lbs pulls today and WOW!! I cannot be happier. This car has been down for over a year and a half. Well everyone have a great day I'm going for a cruise in the GN be back later. Jon Hanson

Yep, this is how I do it. Except one difference. I built a holding device that holds 2 heat guns over the water passages. I heat the heads on the stand. On low setting, it heats the head up to 200 degrees. I let it cool and retorque, then repeat. You can see the copper spray get liquidy around the edge of the gasket, obviously getting squeezed out, same as if it had been run. It has worked well, and it saves the PITA of retorqueing in the car.

Aren't you worried that the extra material (spray coating) will allow a passage for leaks? I've never had a cometic leak when put on dry. (except when there was a hole in the head lol)

After removing the heads on motors that have been done this way, it is evident that there was very little extra material on the surfaces, as the coating has squished out (after being retorqued at least).

I tried using them dry the first time I used them. They weeped oil like crazy. Been coating them ever since.

I've also heard of people using aluminum high heat silver VHT spray paint, but I've never tried it.

My cometics are leaking oil, even with the copper coat and the layers seperated. They are leaking at the corners where the heads contact the block, which pisses me off.

Back