You can type here any text you want

Comp 210-215 roller cam and tuning???

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

turbov6joe

Signal 1 J-12
Last year we put this cam in my dad's motor with a set of Champion ported irons and intake, a GTQ70 turbo, 86pph injectors and meth injection. We were having trouble with the tune, specifically with commanded a/f ratios. After a rather disappointing day at the track Lonnie Diers mentioned that this cam likes a leaner a/f ratio due to the duration on the exhaust side. We started leaning it out and ended up right at 11.7 out the back door before we ran out of time....the car was getting faster. My question is this, for those that have knowledge of this cam, what a/f ratios are you having the best luck with while squirting meth? We need to know just how lean you guys are having good luck with?

TIA

I have the same cam this season with a PT6776 Q-Trim, but havent been to the track yet. I'll be interested to see what people say?
Also, what kind of EGT's are you getting? Not that it matters a whole lot but curious?? Cheers!

I have the same cam this season with a PT6776 Q-Trim, but havent been to the track yet. I'll be interested to see what people say?
Also, what kind of EGT's are you getting? Not that it matters a whole lot but curious?? Cheers!

For whatever reason his motor like higher EGT's...typically we see low-mid 1700's and an a/f ratio in the higher 11's.

Any and all info.....

This is the cam I have decided on for my rebuild, I am done with flat tappets and I am going roller. Any and all info you guys can supply about the tuning and responce of this cam would be great!

Hey turbov6joe...how does that cam feel on the street? Does it have a very smooth idle or can you tell there is a larger cam in it?

I was looking to go with the 215/220 but I only have a 3000 stall converter which I do not think is enough.

Thanks for any input I would like to hear how some of you guys do on the tuning so I know what to expect.

Cam idles similar to my last which was an Erson 214-214 Loved that cam!

I notice for some reason its rougher for the first min when cold, but that may just need an after start adjustment from the Gen 2. Otherwise it idles nice, not as smooth as stock but nothing crazy at all. Feels like its gonna pull good after ya get moving some. No track days yet so hard to say but feels good so far. Been keeping my A/F in the mid 11's but again, city trips & no real abuse yet! Altho, I am sure ready to go beat on it! :)

Feels like a good cam but then these cars are not real sensitive to cam changes anyways. Cant tell untill I see what it likes at the track & that will take a good 10+ passes. Oh well, isnt that half the fun!! ;)

This is the cam I have decided on for my rebuild, I am done with flat tappets and I am going roller. Any and all info you guys can supply about the tuning and responce of this cam would be great!

Hey turbov6joe...how does that cam feel on the street? Does it have a very smooth idle or can you tell there is a larger cam in it?

I was looking to go with the 215/220 but I only have a 3000 stall converter which I do not think is enough.

Thanks for any input I would like to hear how some of you guys do on the tuning so I know what to expect.

Cam has great street manners with a decent converter and pulls real hard on the track. It's a bit testy on cold starts but settles in real nice once warmed. It has a good mild lope but nothing crazy. With the spilt duration being more on the exhaust side it's kind of a PITA to get tuned...hence the reason for this thread. Lonnie Diers suggested we start leaning it out and that seemed to work for us. We'll see what happens here in the next month or so when we get it down the track.

Cam has great street manners with a decent converter and pulls real hard on the track. It's a bit testy on cold starts but settles in real nice once warmed. It has a good mild lope but nothing crazy. With the spilt duration being more on the exhaust side it's kind of a PITA to get tuned...hence the reason for this thread. Lonnie Diers suggested we start leaning it out and that seemed to work for us. We'll see what happens here in the next month or so when we get it down the track.

Thanks for the reply, what converter are you running? I have an art car 9" 3000 stall I think it should be plenty for this cam. I was going to order the roller kit this week but my wife just got laid off Monday:frown: so now I have to wait. Hopefully she can find something pretty quick before I get behind on my bills.

As you play with your car a little more and learn tricks to tunning with this cam please post what you did:D I am definitely buying this cam kit soon and then I will be in the same boat as you:cool:

What size turbo are you gonna run with the 3000 stall? I suppose its a 10" LU unit? Who made it?

I would think that the turbo you run would affect what converter you need more than the cam would. I have a 67GTQ & takes a bit to spool it! Last year a 3400 10" LU was just a tad slow for my liking at the track. Just put in a 3800 10" LU to get that extra push. I will T&T with it for now, but have both sitting here.
I just dont see the cam being a big factor where converter size is concerned?

What size turbo are you gonna run with the 3000 stall? I suppose its a 10" LU unit? Who made it?

I would think that the turbo you run would affect what converter you need more than the cam would. I have a 67GTQ & takes a bit to spool it! Last year a 3400 10" LU was just a tad slow for my liking at the track. Just put in a 3800 10" LU to get that extra push. I will T&T with it for now, but have both sitting here.
I just dont see the cam being a big factor where converter size is concerned?

It is an Art Carr unit non lock up and I am running a TE66. The flat tappet cam i had was a 223/223 duration and the car did have some lag, I spoke to Mike at Full throttle and he felt that was a little too much cam for the converter, I was gonna go with the 215/220 roller but he felt that would be a bit much and could have more lag than the 210/215.

I was running a TE44 with a stock converter and the spool was great then I rebuilt the engine and went with a TE66, my buddy ahd that converter and I got a good deal on it and have been running that combo for a while now. As I said it is a little slow to spool but it pulled real hard and I could not keep the BFG DR planted to the street. I dont mind a little lag for that kinda power:biggrin:

It is an Art Carr unit non lock up and I am running a TE66. The flat tappet cam i had was a 223/223 duration and the car did have some lag, I spoke to Mike at Full throttle and he felt that was a little too much cam for the converter, I was gonna go with the 215/220 roller but he felt that would be a bit much and could have more lag than the 210/215.

I was running a TE44 with a stock converter and the spool was great then I rebuilt the engine and went with a TE66, my buddy ahd that converter and I got a good deal on it and have been running that combo for a while now. As I said it is a little slow to spool but it pulled real hard and I could not keep the BFG DR planted to the street. I dont mind a little lag for that kinda power:biggrin:

At the track I dont like taking 5 secs to build boost! The other car is already at the 1/8 mile! :)
My 3400 with that cam & your 66 turbo would make a great tire frying machine!! Would definately have some good spool action.

I ran a 49 turbo & 3000 LU for years & that combo was Great!! Instant spool, fry tires at will, lots of power with the 214-214 Erson BUT the MT Drag Radials would hardly last a 4 month season!! ;) ;)

Back