You can type here any text you want

Comp 853 preload confusion

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

karolko

Hey Guys, I know there is a huge sticky on this but i just read the info card from Comp and they stated to give the lifter 1 full turn after zero lash.

If i rmemeber corectly everyone was 0.030 or half a turn.

Can any of you guys verify this for me or let me know what you did?

Adrian

I am not sure what you have from Comp, but T&D rockers would give you .050" preload with one turn of the adjuster screw?

Between 1/4 to 1/2 turn from zero lash should work fine with both hydraulic flat tappet and roller lifters.. :)

853's are Comp roller lifters that I HATE !! I had nothing but trouble with those pieces of S--T and when Morels came out I took those damn things out and threw them in the garbage. Sorry for the vent but anywhere from 1/4 to 3/4 turn on T&D's you'll be fine.
PS, I hope you have better luck with them than I did.

sorry guys, i should have been more discriptive.

I have Hydraulic rollers. with 1.55 ratio T&D rockers. So shlud i just do 1/2 turn and be done. is less lash better or worse for lifter anyways?

Also after cleaning them out with mineral spirits should i let them soak for a day, or should i just dip them and install them that way? I have heard both meathods, but i have never read any real explaination as to why?

I am going to call the local shop and see if they have morels in stock, but if they do not, then i am stuck with Comp's. I have read that they are not the greatest in quailty which makes me angry, i just need to put this thing back together.

Thanks alot,

Adrian

Adrian,
You'll be just fine at 1/2 turn. I have done them from 1/4 turn to a full turn and seen NO difference. The oil soaking in my opinion is just some peoples choice, they think it's better. Iv'e also done them both ways on that and seen absolutely NO difference.

m233 roller,

Thanks for the reply. I too think i will just dunk them quickly and pop them in there and set the lash and be done with it. Thanks again.

Adrian

As far as cleaning them goes. Dan at DLS told me that Comps cleaner, coolant, etc used in processing isnt that best and leaves residual and that residual hampers operation and the lifters need to be cleaned prior to use due to this. He said that he hasnt had a problem with the Morels as far as cleanliness goes

does anyone have the part number for Morels Hydrualic roller that is.

Adrian

Adrian,
Each vendor has thier own part number for them. Go to Full Throttle and you'll see them there.

Hey Guys, I know there is a huge sticky on this but i just read the info card from Comp and they stated to give the lifter 1 full turn after zero lash.

If i rmemeber corectly everyone was 0.030 or half a turn.

Can any of you guys verify this for me or let me know what you did?

Adrian

I've been using the Comp 853 roller lifters for a few years in my engine with T & D 1.65 roller rockers and i set the preload with 3/4 turn after zero lash. I did have to clean the lifters out before using them,there was a bunch of crud inside and i could hear and feel it when i pressed down on the lifer with a pushrod. They are quiet and i haven't had any problems with them since.

okay guys, i am junking the comps and going with Morels. My last question is will pushrod length be the same or not compared to my comp hydraulic rollers?

Adrian

Karolko,
I am going to be removing some morrell lifters in the next week to go to Comp 885 lifters. The pushrods will be different lengths according to the thread I started a few days ago. The morrells are for sale if you are interested. They have right at 1000 miles on them.

Karolko,
I am going to be removing some morrell lifters in the next week to go to Comp 885 lifters. The pushrods will be different lengths according to the thread I started a few days ago. The morrells are for sale if you are interested. They have right at 1000 miles on them.

JP, i just want to verify, that the pushrod length for the comp 885 solids rollers is different from the 853 and morels, BUT the morels and 853's have the same pushrod lengths. Correct.

Also why are you abandoning the morels? Any problems personally?

I bought a set yesterday and had them rushed to the house. I need to put everything back together in a quick manner becasue i am leaving the ocuntry for work and have limited time to get things done. Otherwise i would have considered them.

Thanks in advance

Adrian

I honestly don't know as far as pushrod length goes on any of them. As for the morrells, they don't seem to like the profile of my cam and the rpm my motor should turn. I need to be able to run up to about 6000-6200 rpm. I don't know if the springs I have are on the verge of being to stiff for the morrells or what. They just aren't working for me. If I had a 206/206 or 210/210 cam with low lift and a slow ramp then they might work out. Stay safe while out of country.

karolko said:
okay guys, i am junking the comps and going with Morels. My last question is will pushrod length be the same or not compared to my comp hydraulic rollers?

Adrian

Morels are a little taller than the 853s so you will need a shorter pushrod. I think mine are 8.0xx with my Morels versus the 8.2xx pushrods with my old comp 853s.

But I would verify on your motor with a pushrod length checker to get the exact size.

You might want to do a search on the morel lifters before you install them. People on here have had problems with them and suggest that the lifters be closely looked over before installation.

One of the problems was the pin backing out that holds the roller tip on.

I know more people have had more problems with Comp lifters than the Morels but both have some problems with quality control issues,so don't just drop them in without first checking them.

Just a heads up to help prevent future problems.

Back