You can type here any text you want

Comp Cams 853 Lifters

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

gnfan231

Had one of the 853 (Shrouded) Comp cams lifter go bad. I ordered a replacement 853 and received the unshrouded version. I spoke with Comp cams tech and they advised me that both versions were interchangeable. After reading another thread here I see some people advise not to use the unshrouded lifters on a stock block. Anyone using the 853's unshrouded? Any insight is appreciated.

Thats the same thing they told me. I can't believe the tech's at comp don't know wtf they are talking about. If you use a un shrouded lifter you won't have oil pressure. The oil dumps out the lifter bore due to the oil feed being exposed.

Thanks! They said the oil galley measurements on both style lifters are exactly the same and the skirt around the roller had nothing to do with exposing the oil feed. Will have to track down a shrouded lifter.

The correct part number is 6853

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you Bison!!! You are correct 6853 is the correct part number for the shrouded Hyd Roller lifters I need to replace. Kind of scary I had to talk to 3 reps from Comp cams to verify the 6853 were correct. Not looking forward to pulling the intake back off again. Thanks again for the help everyone.

Thank you Bison!!! You are correct 6853 is the correct part number for the shrouded Hyd Roller lifters I need to replace. Kind of scary I had to talk to 3 reps from Comp cams to verify the 6853 were correct. Not looking forward to pulling the intake back off again. Thanks again for the help everyone.
I know I'm correct. It's been the same number for a few years. This is why it's always worth going through a vendor that knows what's what. I've heard of at least 3 examples of people installing unshrouded lifters in unbushed bores in the last year alone. It's still up to the installer to verify that the item was boxed correctly and is indeed the correct part

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Had one of the 853 (Shrouded) Comp cams lifter go bad. I ordered a replacement 853 and received the unshrouded version. I spoke with Comp cams tech and they advised me that both versions were interchangeable. After reading another thread here I see some people advise not to use the unshrouded lifters on a stock block. Anyone using the 853's unshrouded? Any insight is appreciated.

Comp has changed the number to 16853. This replaces the 853 and the 885. The 16853 is an unshrouded roller and cannot be used in a 109 block without installing bushings in lifter bores. Most techs only know what they read off the computer. Comp has a new 6-853 which is a cheap copy of the original 853. Not the same manufacture and doesn't have same oil metering and seat height. If you need an original 853 I do have one pair in stock and can get more in a few days. If you need the correct lifter, give me a call.

Wow...well my first time dealing with Comp. I will double check the lifters and measurements once I get the new pair. What combo of cam, lifters, pushrods and springs are most buick guys using that is dependable. My goal with this motor was a street use an a couple track days a year.

Back