You can type here any text you want

Comp revolution roller cam question

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
Does anyone else make a good roller cam or have a cam kit for our cars? The more i read the more I don't want a comp cam! I definitely don't want a comp flat tappet and now I don't want a comp roller either.

D

I didn't want a Comp Cam either. I called Isky but they don't do roller for us as you know. I thought about trying a solid flat tappet cam with oil face solid lifter (direct lube lifter) since my factory hydr. lifters were ticking causing a false knock.:mad: Isky's salesman noted the smallest solid flat tappet cam would be a 214/210 that he could custom make me. I was torn between Isky solid flat tappet cam, Comp hydr flat tappet/GM lifters and the Comp roller cam/Morel lifters. Roller is the best choice mainly because of today's oil.

I have a Comp Roller Cam kit with the Morel lifters. Cam idles like stock and pulls great up to 6k...would go more if I needed it. Dan at DLS has been very helpful and specializes... He has his own special grinds that would be perfect for any application. No worries :)

Joe

:mad::mad::mad::confused:

DSCN0385.jpg

:(:(

Geez, Steve, you're giving me flashbacks to last Spring! Seriously, that is a carbon copy of what I found with the roller cam. I am using the 210, but I reckon that all of the blanks start out the same before final machining. I would imagine that a substantial amount of metal shavings could be generated by this going undiagnosed, if not a broken lifter tie bar and ruined cam/motor. Last Spring, someone posted something about a previous roller failure that, at the time, was a mystery. He later theorized that this may have been the cause of the broken tie bar and subsequent damage. I do not remember who that was, but maybe he will speak up here, too. You also have to figure that the lifter is basically wedging the cam and preventing it from moving forward at all. Thus, no relief for the thrust surface of the cam or block, as any end clearance is negated in reality. The cam is as far back as it can go, and the lifters are stopping the cam from moving forward at all, regardless of preload established during set up with the button. Net clearance between the cam thrust and block is ZERO. Thanks, Rudy.

It's no different than selling medicine out of a wagon in the old west. they just don't care how they make their money!

I went with nickygn's advice and contacted Weber and Bill there has been answering all of my questions and concerns. I think that's where my money is going. They seem very professional over there and through my research i haven't read one bad thing about them yet.

As for BEATAV8, that picture is worth a thousand words, all bad ones!

When i get my cam and install it i will check the lobe clearance and take pictures.

This thread and the "Exh. biased cams.." thread have been very helpful.

I wish you guys the best of luck and I'd like to thank everyone that has contributed the vast amounts of knowledge on both these threads. You guys are good people!

thank you
D

It's no different than selling medicine out of a wagon in the old west. they just don't care how they make their money!

I went with nickygn's advice and contacted Weber and Bill there has been answering all of my questions and concerns. I think that's where my money is going. They seem very professional over there and through my research i haven't read one bad thing about them yet.

As for BEATAV8, that picture is worth a thousand words, all bad ones!

When i get my cam and install it i will check the lobe clearance and take pictures.

This thread and the "Exh. biased cams.." thread have been very helpful.

I wish you guys the best of luck and I'd like to thank everyone that has contributed the vast amounts of knowledge on both these threads. You guys are good people!

thank you
D

Both my threads. Thank you, thank you :) lol. I'm here trying to learn the most I can. I do this by probing the experts here. I'm also doing this, for the same reason I ask questions in class I already know the answer to, when I see that the instructor missed an important detail. To help the others around me.

Keep in mind this is a COMP cam. Regardless of vendor, COMP probably makes 90% of the roller cams out there for our cars. (total guess on my part, I'm just not aware of any other Buick roller cam manufacturers)

This one is going back to the vendor for exchange with a unit which has been pre-qualified (inspected) by being checked in an engine block.

Regardless of where you get your cam, better check it for this issue.

I checked and you are correct Steve. I was told the cam I'm getting is a comp grind but made to Weber specs which i can only hope are better than the other spec on here. Well, i guess we almost don't have a choice in the matter.

Like I said earlier, Bill at Weber is being a huge help and I will be ordering from Him. I will still check for lobe clearance and make sure the pins are securely in place on the Morel rollers.

D

I checked and you are correct Steve. I was told the cam I'm getting is a comp grind but made to Weber specs which i can only hope are better than the other spec on here. Well, i guess we almost don't have a choice in the matter.

D

I imagine that all the vendor would spec is the lobe profile. But this lobe/lifter issue is caused by the dimensioning and machining of the thrust face on the cam, which is controlling how far the cam installs into the engine block. That's something that the vendors would not have any control over other than they could inspect it.

I'm going to bring this up in class, and ask the insructor to show everyone how to look for it, how to measure, and how to cut it to the proper dimensions.

damn I have two motors with these cams and am now kinda worried. I was the one that installed the cams but honestly wasn't looking really closely at all of the lobes and lifters....

damn I have two motors with these cams and am now kinda worried. I was the one that installed the cams but honestly wasn't looking really closely at all of the lobes and lifters....

If it was an early one you may have had a clearance issue. You would hear a bunch of noise if they hit

If it was an early one you may have had a clearance issue. You would hear a bunch of noise if they hit

I would have thought there would be noise as well... good to know, my motor has over 5000 on it now and my dads T has 1500 or so.

Thanks! My 210-215 has no issues so far after 3 seasons with low mileage & a few track days each year. I used to always buy Erson flat tappet cams & had good luck with them.
I guess you always have to really inspect each part closely. Assume nothing.

Comp warrantied my camshaft. New replacement cam seems to be fine.

I bought a new 206 flat tappet cam from comp around 2006 and three lobes were rounded under 1000 miles. Apparently they received bad batch of steel from china, so i was told, and that was determined the cause.

there are two other people that this same thing happened to that i know of.

After being contacted they never offered me a free replacement cam never mind the thousands of dollars in damage the cam created.

Unacceptable!

D

Why is it so hard for these big cam companies to get this kind of stuff right???? :mad:

The problem is not the cam or the manufacturer. Its the person installing the cam. If the cam is not sitting back far enough then its up to the installer to notice and take the appropriate actions. Someone else could install the same cam in a different engine and not have to do anything. Were not talking OE stuff here and anytime you go with anything aftermarket you better scrutinie or you will get burned. Ive had blocks with worn thrusts, cams with slightly wider lobes, poor finish on the cam thrusts, and incorrectly machined thrust components all cause problems with cam installs. Its the installers responsibility to check everything and check it again.

Back