You can type here any text you want

Compression Results

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
lol Romane, just bustin ya nuts....to quote a webcomic i read, "you dont stop bombing an easy target till its utterly destroyed" >.> I have a bit of tools, but not as extensive as these experienced guys and I plan on rebuilding a 1985 vin 3 distributor engine with the carb intake from the 82 Olds and parts from everything else, if i get a job offer soon :D (buy 82 olds, buy 85 vin 3 engine, buy parts, buy more tools)

AND you guys have the tools, knowledge, and expertice to do this. I DONT:confused: No tools, minimal knowledge, or the expertice, let alone a place to do a rebuild.

Just being honest here bud, but unless you have a lot of coin this statement here tells me you might be in over your head.

wow wow.. is it pick on me day or WHAT:eek::eek::eek: You all are people to talk... It takes you guys a LONG time to rebuild and put together an engine... AND you guys have the tools, knowledge, and expertice to do this. I DONT:confused: No tools, minimal knowledge, or the expertice, let alone a place to do a rebuild.

give him a break guys. it doesn't take many tools to pull the motor. to rebuild it well its a little more involved. i think you can do it. do you know any machine shops. i think most of the tools you can get at autozone. like the ringridge remover and the tool to take rings off. maybe you can find somone here to help you.

83 Turbo- Do you still have the 200R4 in your car? Is the trans shifting good still?

Look for about $400 to do machining, and new hypers and a gasket set. Thats at the bare minimum.

Have you ever had your downpipe off? Curious to know how much slop is in the turbo.

I expect when you tear your engine down its going to be scary. Chances are a 10/10 ground crank, .030 over, new slugs, gaskets, new timing cover, valve work, cam&lifters.

Not to mention what you SHOULD do, MSD BTM, factory Q-jet, strip out some of the emmisions stuff, weld up your headers, ect.

Consider this. A rebuilt motor will cost thousands. A junkyard 3.8 2-bbl would cost hundreds and may come with some sort of warrenty. The non-turbo 3.8 will certainly handle the power of carb/turbo.

Get the junkyard 3.8 for now, and for cheap. They might even intsall it for a reasonable ampount. Them when you have the time and finances, get the 3.8 turbo rebuilt.

Consider this. A rebuilt motor will cost thousands. A junkyard 3.8 2-bbl would cost hundreds and may come with some sort of warrenty. The non-turbo 3.8 will certainly handle the power of carb/turbo.

Get the junkyard 3.8 for now, and for cheap. They might even intsall it for a reasonable ampount. Them when you have the time and finances, get the 3.8 turbo rebuilt.

Very good idea Rich. I think this may be the best solution for the moment just to keep the car running.:smile: Glad to see you on again. I noticed you on my build thread but no comments yet.:biggrin:

Very good idea Rich. I think this may be the best solution for the moment just to keep the car running.:smile: Glad to see you on again. I noticed you on my build thread but no comments yet.:biggrin:

OOOOOOOO that IS a good idea. ill look into that.

83 Turbo- Do you still have the 200R4 in your car? Is the trans shifting good still?

Look for about $400 to do machining, and new hypers and a gasket set. Thats at the bare minimum.

Have you ever had your downpipe off? Curious to know how much slop is in the turbo.

I expect when you tear your engine down its going to be scary. Chances are a 10/10 ground crank, .030 over, new slugs, gaskets, new timing cover, valve work, cam&lifters.

Not to mention what you SHOULD do, MSD BTM, factory Q-jet, strip out some of the emmisions stuff, weld up your headers, ect.

yes i have had the downpipe off anf the turbo is pretty dirty. IM gonna run the car to turbo tec in tacoma to have them take a look at it.

Great idea Rich... at least the car will still run and you can have time to rebuild the motor... that`s what I want to do with the '85 block sitting on my garage floor collecting dirt and rust:rolleyes: anyone know a estimate of what it cost to bore a block out these days? I was thing about going .60 over and forged pistons:biggrin:

.060 is a little large Jase. The cylinder walls are way to thin to safely boost it with out sonic testing it for core shift.

Wow, I looked on carpart.com for 3.8's in washington, and there isnt anything! I get a few pages full, and theres only 6 listed. Theres one in Spanaway Wa for $320. Dont know what the condition of it is, but it isnt listed as a core. Id check it out.

why dont you buy a shortblock from weber racing he has them for $900 in the price to sell list 3.8 non turbo, no return hole for turbo but thats easy to do.

come south here. the local u pull it yard, at least the one i took pics at, have a few RWD 3.8s with 2bbls on them..but they're NOT listed on their website...the FWD engines, depending on year or mileage, range from $150 for a LN3 3800 (pre series 1) to $500+ for L36, L27, LG3, LG2, 85 distributor 3.8s, 86 LG3s.....LK9s...but those are all whats listed as being running engines, and are also listed as being ready to take home (already pulled from cars)...the engines not listed on site are still in cars for the most part. what about Spokane area WA? ya might be able to find better deals there, if you can haul it across the state?

Wow, I looked on carpart.com for 3.8's in washington, and there isnt anything! I get a few pages full, and theres only 6 listed. Theres one in Spanaway Wa for $320. Dont know what the condition of it is, but it isnt listed as a core. Id check it out.

you should send me the contact information.

.040 Should be ok but you'll be safer with a .030 bore and the pistons are easier to find already made Jase.

Back