You can type here any text you want

Compression Test

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Jan Larsson

Could someone give me the steps for doing a compression test on my TTA please, also what is the recommended compression for all cylinders and within what range should they all be to make sure rings etc are good

Engine warm, all plugs removed, throttle plate opened fully, crank engine 5-6 times (make sure to crank all cylinders the same amount of times for consistant results).

I think somewhere between 130 -150psi...10 percent between cylinders.

Leak down test would be nice to do as well, thought I start with a compression test as I have the tool for doing this ... well I thought I could use it until I warmed up the engine, burnt my self removing all the plugs ... disconnected the cam sensor ... and the threaded part on the compression tool is to short to reach into our heads :mad:

So back to square one ... what do you guys use to check compression, do you use a long reach 14mm adapter like the one supplied in this kit http://www.actron.com/product_detail.php?pid=16170 ?

Will go shopping tomorrow but might have to order a kit somewhere, anyway let me know what you all use that works

Jan Larsson said:
Leak down test would be nice to do as well, thought I start with a compression test as I have the tool for doing this ... well I thought I could use it until I warmed up the engine, burnt my self removing all the plugs ... disconnected the cam sensor ... and the threaded part on the compression tool is to short to reach into our heads :mad:

So back to square one ... what do you guys use to check compression, do you use a long reach 14mm adapter like the one supplied in this kit http://www.actron.com/product_detail.php?pid=16170 ?

Will go shopping tomorrow but might have to order a kit somewhere, anyway let me know what you all use that works

Yeah I have that kit and it worked fine on my TTA.

Jan Larsson said:
Did you use the long reach adaptor?

Yeah I'm pretty sure that I did. the spark plugs do sit pretty far into the heads which makes it pretty difficult to do the drivers side.

Back