Compression

PhilM

Präzisionelektronik
What kind of compression r's are a lot of the TSM guys running... And that isnt limited too is it?

Phil

NO compression is not limited in TSM. What would make you say that? :confused:

It safe to say that TSM motors range from to stock compression to 9.1. Thats what mine was. Im currently planning a new motor for a friend for TSM and that will also be 9.1.

I'm hoping to get 9 out of this thing. My calculations seem like that will be the case... We'll have to see what the decking left me.

How often are these class rules updated? Wondering if theres any hope for intake n turbo changes in the future...

About the 3bolt rule: Is the header allowed to have a GT style flange with a bolted on adapter for use on a 3 bolt housing... i'd like to keep the 42 for daily driving :).

My intake & electronics are based on an LT1 throttle body mounted to the sm intake... can i just weld a new plate on the front of a cast plenum to fit this? I am kinda unsure about what exactly you can modify here.

And the rule about the gauges: My whole dash n console are ultralites... do they mean by external, a gauge mounted outside the vehicle?

I think i need to find out who actually creates these rules and who inspects the vehicles... seems like a lot of this is interpretation.

Sorry for all the questions, I just am trying to learn the rules and what i'll have to rip off my car to race in this class.

Tech is usually conducted by either or both Scott Simpson and Lonnie Diers.
This includes the racers in that specific event. Its called peer tech.

As far as a 4 to 3 in. adapter thats not legal in the class. As far as intake and turbo changes ...The rules are set for the 2006 year. I dont see any turbo or intake changes in the future. I think the class is just fine the way it it is.

Intake may not be welded or epoxied.Only the gauges outside are limited.

Thanx... ill just use a 3bolt header and just bolt on a stock intake n plenum... I can port the hell out of both of these correct?

Regaurds, Phil

I want to see pictures of your GT42 turbo and your LT1 throttle body setup if you have them completed. I'm building a hybrid so I'm hardly rule bound, heck even the EPA can't touch me, I've been thinking about an LT1 throttle body for some time now and I'd like to see how one turned out if made.

Thanks,

I'm still welding up the rest of the upper intake, but it should work great... flow rate will be better than the big mama accufab buick TB - thats why im doin it... Ill send some pics when its done. :)

PhilM said:
What kind of compression r's are a lot of the TSM guys running... And that isnt limited too is it?
You can run as much compression as you want as long as you do not exceed 24psi. :biggrin:

PhilM said:
How often are these class rules updated? Wondering if theres any hope for intake n turbo changes in the future...
Items are clarified each year as questions arise.
PhilM said:
About the 3bolt rule: Is the header allowed to have a GT style flange with a bolted on adapter for use on a 3 bolt housing... i'd like to keep the 42 for daily driving :).
You are allowed to run whatever header discharge flange you want and thus, also allowed to run a 4->3 bolt adapter as the turbo must be a 3-bolt turbine unit. (Not sure why Louie said these were not allowed?)
PhilM said:
My intake & electronics are based on an LT1 throttle body mounted to the sm intake... can i just weld a new plate on the front of a cast plenum to fit this? I am kinda unsure about what exactly you can modify here.
Well the sheetmetal intake is not allowed. Any throttlebody is allowed but under the definition of FSA you cannot weld on the cast aluminum plenum...so you gotta make a bolt-on adapter.
PhilM said:
do they mean by external, a gauge mounted outside the vehicle?
Yes, external means outside the vehicle.
PhilM said:
I think i need to find out who actually creates these rules and who inspects the vehicles... seems like a lot of this is interpretation.
That applies to any set of rules for any sport. Inspection is performed as Louie noted.

GRNDNL said:
Really?...... :confused:
Definition of "Factory Stock Appearing"

A factory stock appearing part is a GM part originally delivered on a 1981 to 1987 Buick Regal, GNX, Grand National, T-Type or Turbo Regal from Buick Motor Division and is externally stock in appearance. No external welding, cold weld epoxy, puttying, etc. may be done on any factory stock appearing part unless specifically stated.

· No aftermarket cast aluminum or sheet metal intake manifolds of any kind allowed.

· Any cast aluminum intake plenum allowed.

· Any size single modified stock or aftermarket throttle body allowed. Single throttle plate only.

There is no provision allowing welding on the FSA cast aluminum intake plenum...but if you use a cast aluminum aftermarket plenum then you can weld on it. Loophole? :eek:

Scott231 said:
Definition of "Factory Stock Appearing"

A factory stock appearing part is a GM part originally delivered on a 1981 to 1987 Buick Regal, GNX, Grand National, T-Type or Turbo Regal from Buick Motor Division and is externally stock in appearance. No external welding, cold weld epoxy, puttying, etc. may be done on any factory stock appearing part unless specifically stated.

· No aftermarket cast aluminum or sheet metal intake manifolds of any kind allowed.

· Any cast aluminum intake plenum allowed.

· Any size single modified stock or aftermarket throttle body allowed. Single throttle plate only.

There is no provision allowing welding on the FSA cast aluminum intake plenum...but if you use a cast aluminum aftermarket plenum then you can weld on it. Loophole? :eek:

So...How much "welding" can I do on a cast plenum before its considered a fabricated piece?....Wouldn't "any" welding, grinding, or adding on make a cast plenum fabricated?.....

Scott,
I always throught that a 4 to 3 adapter was illegal. Why I dont know ...
Sorry...

GRNDNL said:
So...How much "welding" can I do on a cast plenum before its considered a fabricated piece?....Wouldn't "any" welding, grinding, or adding on make a cast plenum fabricated?.....

Hummmmm! good question

PhilM said:
BTW, who has the fastest stock block out there?

Phil

Dave Bamford, AKA "Top Gun". He has run a string of 9.3x passes at 146MPH and we are working to better that for next year. He is the current TSM record holder at 9.41@144 in TSM legal trim. There is one more that will be coming out mid summer next year.

GRNDNL said:

Hmmm... :biggrin:

The definition of factory stock appearing part is applicable to a FACTORY "GM" part. The PTE plenum does not fall applicable to the no welding/ect. rule as it is listed as allowed, but no limitations put on it for modifications.

Good question though!!! :D