You can type here any text you want

computer router placement

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

jlat

hello people; Does it matter where you have it located? Verizon sent me a new one that's suppose to be better.
It's tall and slim and I have it on top of my TV but more out of the way would be nice.
IBBY

hello people; Does it matter where you have it located? Verizon sent me a new one that's suppose to be better.
It's tall and slim and I have it on top of my TV but more out of the way would be nice.
IBBY

My router is also next to my TV and is used for my laptop and desktop, 20ft away, and I have no issues.

Mines on the floor behind the desk. Been there for years, no problem .

The ones the cable companies give you are typically not great performers. I use my own modem and hook to the WAN port of my good router. You can also use the verizon gateway as a modem only and plug it into your WAN port of your good router and let do the real work. After fooling with networkinf for years including my fathers old plaster farm house I finally got smart. Everything that can get hard wired gets hardwired. I have a switch on my server rack that feeds 2 servers, and the whole house patch panel. My network printer is hardwired, my PCs are hardwired, my entertainment center has a hardwired switch and 2 xboxes, bluray, and network stream device, and TV are all hard wired to the switch. I have started utilizing PoE wireless APs to really make wireless robust though. I have been extremely impressed with the Ubiquity AC Pro PoE access points performance in my fathers plaster house where the router would only go about 1/3 through the house. These work by using a PoE switch which powers the AP through ethernet, or you can use a PoE injector that comes with it. I've finally come to the conclusion that the only things that should be used wirelessly are laptops, cell phones, and tablets. Let all other be connected via CAT6 or 5e lol

https://www.ubnt.com/unifi/unifi-ap-ac-pro/

But to anwer your question setting it on the floor will not make a perceivable difference

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Back