You can type here any text you want

connecting rods

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
They're rated for block slice-ablilty once past 2100 rpm's and half throttle, Ker-chunk failures are rare but have been known to happen when key is turned, other examples exist beyond 600 hp for quite some time, being that they are castings and vary in quality and that they are at least 20+ years old, your guess is as good as any's, seriously, would YOU trust any factory con rod "casting" for a high HP build?, I wouldn't, especially considering what the aftermarket has to offer today..no brainer.

Kevin.

Probably about 250.

It's not the HP load that kills a rod. Usually something else gets to it first.

There have been an awful lot of people going low 11's and even into the tens for years with stock rods. They held up extremely well. They are all you needed for most street/strip type engines. The biggest problem these days are most of these engines have already had a rough life and I would not chance building an engine with old used rods. Some people will try and sell you used rods from "grandma's car" and try and convince they are better because they had an easier life. Rods do have a cycle life, but who knows how much cycle time is on their rods? Most have made millions of cycles already I bet.

700+hp without ever experiencing detonation or high revs. The block, caps or pistons will likely fail first

They're rated for block slice-ablilty once past 2100 rpm's and half throttle, Ker-chunk failures are rare but have been known to happen when key is turned, other examples exist beyond 600 hp for quite some time, being that they are castings and vary in quality and that they are at least 20+ years old, your guess is as good as any's, seriously, would YOU trust any factory con rod "casting" for a high HP build?, I wouldn't, especially considering what the aftermarket has to offer today..no brainer.

Kevin.
Id trust the factory rods before i trusted most peoples tuning abilities.

Id trust the factory rods before i trusted most peoples tuning abilities.

you always have good info, but need to get over yourself! your experiences do not prove anything more than YOU'VE had a "good experience" with stock rods, and YOUR stock motor held up great with YOUR tuning abilities, in YOUR combo, in YOUR car....you get the point.

I would not run a stock rod if I'm already spending money on building a new engine. The benefits and strength of aftermarket rods, at today's cost is a value! There are so many options out there, go ahead and buy a piece of mind!
You can even find a used set of Carrillo rods for a GREAT price. I think there were some for sale a week ago or so, for a few hundred bucks!

There are always going to be guys running 11's or even 10's on stock rods, but they are pushing their luck. Those rods should have folded 4 seconds ago:rolleyes:

you always have good info, but need to get over yourself! your experiences do not prove anything more than YOU'VE had a "good experience" with stock rods, and YOUR stock motor held up great with YOUR tuning abilities, in YOUR combo, in YOUR car....you get the point.

I would not run a stock rod if I'm already spending money on building a new engine. The benefits and strength of aftermarket rods, at today's cost is a value! There are so many options out there, go ahead and buy a piece of mind!
You can even find a used set of Carrillo rods for a GREAT price. I think there were some for sale a week ago or so, for a few hundred bucks!

There are always going to be guys running 11's or even 10's on stock rods, but they are pushing their luck. Those rods should have folded 4 seconds ago:rolleyes:
Dont worry im not perfect. I just melted a head on my engine because of an oversight on my part. As far as stock rods go i can think of at least 5 guys instantly that have been 130+ with them. Id be more worried about the stock crank and block before the rods. Aftermarket rods are cheap and well worthwhile but they wont protect an engine from someones tuning fvck up. Many more engines will be hurt because of operator error than rod failure due to excessive power. We are putting all these nice parts in a POS block too. Where do you draw the line as far as whats needed and whats not? If you have the $ to throw at it then do it. Most dont though.To get the block up to par it will cost a hell of a lot more than new rods. Imo if the engine has stock caps and crank adding rods to it is a waste $. Referring back to the original post the rods should have folded but didnt and havent in the engines ive had or others that were over 600hp. Its very true that some cant get out of their driveway without major catastrophe whether their fault or not.

Don't get me wrong. I love the stock rods and believe they are all that is needed for alot of guys. I bought several sets of new stock rods this year when an opportunity arose and wouldn't hesitate to use them in a high performance application. But used rods, no way.

10.90 here on stock rods, on 20psi. and pump gas. Bison is right though, tuning, tuning, tuning. I plan on one more trip to the track this year with 112 and alot more boost. I'm still learning my FAST system, just taking it slow.. Phil.

Iv'e had a set of stock (polished and peened) rods in 2 engines that have been resized twice and have many, many mid 10 sec. passes on them and at least 40.000 miles on them since I polished and peened them. Going on 8 years of use but WHO knows ????? might go tomorrow. I agree with Bison 100%. TUNE, TUNE, TUNE.

PS. I did have them ( 2 sets ) exrayed and magnafluxed before I polished and peened the six I picked out. They are also floaters.

Iv'e had a set of stock (polished and peened) rods in 2 engines that have been resized twice and have many, many mid 10 sec. passes on them and at least 40.000 miles on them since I polished and peened them. Going on 8 years of use but WHO knows ????? might go tomorrow. I agree with Bison 100%. TUNE, TUNE, TUNE.

PS. I did have them ( 2 sets ) exrayed and magnafluxed before I polished and peened the six I picked out. They are also floaters.

I have a set the same way that were used in 3 different engines in the late 90's early 00's. A lot of WOT and many street miles. They were floated also. Still have them on the shelf

Back