Connection Speed Tests

Bens87tr

Former Owner, 87T
Ok. To help supplement the other post about DSL and cable, I decided to start this so those who are interested can take the test and post results.

Let's all use the same test at http://www.dslreports.com/stest. I go to the bottom by the globe to select a location near me.

Here's the rules: take three tests and post your best result in this thread. Actually, take as many as you want. Then list what service you have.

Here's my results:
2923 (356.8K) download
223 kbps upload

Cox communications cable service

Mine didnt say u/l or d/l

479 kbits
58 K bytes

Sprint DSL

I did try 2 different size tests and came up with 2 very different speeds

2004-01-09 19:09:19 EST: 9179 / 2179

Your download speed : 9179168 bps, or 9179 kbps.
A 894.2 KB/sec transfer rate.

Your upload speed : 2179709 bps, or 2179 kbps.
Seems like broadband .. above the 1mbit barrier!

Uncapped cable :)

Connected to backbone locally.

1184kbps down

215kbps up

DSL

Istvan
'86 GNAT orig owner
'87 Regal "T" w/ turbo daily driver

2004-01-09 20:22:28 EST: 1218 / 215
Your download speed : 1218284 bps, or 1218 kbps.
A 148.7 KB/sec transfer rate.
Your upload speed : 215343 bps, or 215 kbps.

If I could get cable here, I would go back to it in a second. Road Runner was much faster than the Bellsouth dsl I have now. A lot of it depends on the area you live, I would ask around YOUR area to find out whats best there.

2004-01-09 20:36:07 EST: 4750 / 941
Your download speed : 4750170 bps, or 4750 kbps.
A 579.8 KB/sec transfer rate.
Your upload speed : 941324 bps, or 941 kbps.

Optonline - Cablevision.

Jim

Originally posted by turbojimmy
2004-01-09 20:36:07 EST: 4750 / 941
Your download speed : 4750170 bps, or 4750 kbps.
A 579.8 KB/sec transfer rate.
Your upload speed : 941324 bps, or 941 kbps.

Optonline - Cablevision.

Jim

Jim....

What modem are you running,Your Upload is good...But your Download for cablevision is real low...

What os are you running??If you like,I can send you a program to open the receive window,It would help your download a ton..

Originally posted by 19TTA89
Jim....

What modem are you running,Your Upload is good...But your Download for cablevision is real low...

What os are you running??If you like,I can send you a program to open the receive window,It would help your download a ton..

It used to be really fast - not quite as fast as yours, but in the 7 Mbps range. But lots of folks in my 'hood have it so I figured that was the problem. The machine I did the test on is and XP machine on a wireless 11 Mbps network that connects to an access point that is hard-wired to a router that connects to a 3COM modem. I also have ZoneAlarm firewall installed on it so that slows it down a bit. So I guess I have a bit of overhead.

My hard-wired machine (connected directly to the router) is an XP Pro machine and it gets similar results. It too has ZoneAlarm on it. I'm not sure if the NAT that the router uses slows it down or not.

Thanks for the offer - you using DRTCP?

Jim

Yeah...Using DRTCP....

The Default window in XP is small..Something like 17,500, I opened mine up to 64,240 and it ran great after that,You cant open it too much though,,,Or it's packet loss City,Crappy Pings and you just go slower..Im on xp pro..Also the Router will slow you Down...I dont use zone Alarm,So im not sure of the difference it makes..

Still good speeds though!!!

You guys make me feel like I'm from the stone age with my dial up connection of 19,200 bytes/sec:( :cool:

2004-01-09 21:23:54 EST: 1565 / 120
Your download speed : 1565631 bps, or 1565 kbps.
A 191.1 KB/sec transfer rate.
Your upload speed : 120481 bps, or 120 kbps.

Seems kinda slow for cable, don't you think?
Any Ideas on how to Improve it?

Originally posted by 19TTA89
Yeah...Using DRTCP....

The Default window in XP is small..Something like 17,500, I opened mine up to 64,240 and it ran great after that,You cant open it too much though,,,Or it's packet loss City,Crappy Pings and you just go slower..Im on xp pro..Also the Router will slow you Down...I dont use zone Alarm,So im not sure of the difference it makes..

Still good speeds though!!!

Yeah, 4-5 Mbps is still smokin'. I haven't tried DRTCP on the XP machines - didn't think I needed it (the XP Pro machine was a Win 98 machine in a past life, and I have 2 other Win 98 laptops that are DRTCP'd). I'll give it a whirl on the XP machines. It can't hurt - thanks for the info.

Jim

Download - 692 kbps
Upload - 611 kbps

I use Optimum online. So, what the hell is wrong with my setup then?

Could the fact that my computer is a 6 yr old Dell have anything to do with that?

Rich:mad:

Originally posted by turbojimmy
Yeah, 4-5 Mbps is still smokin'. I haven't tried DRTCP on the XP machines - didn't think I needed it (the XP Pro machine was a Win 98 machine in a past life, and I have 2 other Win 98 laptops that are DRTCP'd). I'll give it a whirl on the XP machines. It can't hurt - thanks for the info.

Jim

Anytime..Usually when you see that High Upload and a so-so Download for Cablevision (Still Smoking)...It is usually because that window is set at default...

Run the Tweak Test From the dslreports site...It will tell you what your window is set at currently...But dont go by its recommendation of setting it at over 90,000...Ive always had packet loss and Higher Pings at that setting..Start with 64,240 and go from there.

Also there is a DRTCP program solely for XP...Just make sure you get the right one..

Hth...Shawn

Tested it again (this kind of thing is bad for people like me that have a slight touch of obsessive compulsive disorder :D

Your download speed : 3976256 bps, or 3976 kbps.
A 485.3 KB/sec transfer rate.
Your upload speed : 617283 bps, or 617 kbps.

Cablevision

This was with a more local server.

Rich

Originally posted by QuickWE4
Download - 692 kbps
Upload - 611 kbps

I use Optimum online. So, what the hell is wrong with my setup then?

Could the fact that my computer is a 6 yr old Dell have anything to do with that?

Rich:mad:

No age doesn't have much to do with it. I have a couple of really old IBM Thinkpads that come up with the same 4.xx Mbps that my new Dell Inspiron shows. My XP Pro server is a 5-year old Dell machine, too. It shows the same speeds as the other machines. Read up on the dslreports site about tweaks - particularly DRTCP and receive window sizes. It makes a HUGE difference on Win 98 machines (I'm guessing that's your OS).

Jim