Control arm bushings

highboostgn

so after spendingn friday,saturday and sunday working on getting out my ball joints and the new ones pressed in, I decided i minds well take off the control arms, clean them up, por15 them and replace the bushings. Whats the reccomended ones to replace them with? has anyone had more luck with one brand over another?

If your bushings are ok you will not notice much difference. There are stiffer performance bushings to reduce deflection. Most will not notice. If your bushings are the originals they will be drying out and will tear and come apart. You are already there, change them. I used stock replacements and added a heat shield over the pass side bushing by the downpipe to protect from heat.

I put polygraphite bushings in all of my front and rear locations. With the ATR rear sway bar, the car handles noticably better. They do squeak over bumps sometimes. The rears have grease fittings, but I haven't greased them in a while, might be why. Depending on your goals, might be worth a look.

I POR 15'd mine but it pealed off. I think because there was no rust for it to adhere to. Let us know if it sticks after a month or two. I also changed my bushings but it made no noticable difference. Installing a Jeep 1/2 shaft made a difference. Now on my other car, the passenger side tire was loose when I grabbed it and moved it. I thought it was the ball joint since it was original and the car has 215,000 miles on it. Mechanic showed me the bushing had disintegrated and was gone. I told him go ahead and change it. Then I installed BFG Radial TA's with an alignment. Ka...ching!

Picked these up at advanced last night. Came home and opened the box to find these inside. Looks like they ve been through Katrina lol

Attachments

• image-3712862868.jpg
    image-3712862868.jpg
    510.5 KB · Views: 107
Is that the Moog lower control arm set? I got to say mine where in better shape but you can take a scotch bright pad to them and mount them in a shoot them down with some paint. I had my lower control arms blasted then had part store press the bushings in. took it home and cleaned them up and painted them with Eastwood extreme chasis black.

I installed the de la lum bushings from global west. HR parts has a nice set as well. If you por 15 the arms you can strip them and clean them real good with the marine clean and then use the metal etch if not the stuff will fall off

TRICKSIXPA said:
Is that the Moog lower control arm set? I got to say mine where in better shape but you can take a scotch bright pad to them and mount them in a shoot them down with some paint. I had my lower control arms blasted then had part store press the bushings in. took it home and cleaned them up and painted them with Eastwood extreme chasis black.

They're just regular acdelcco replacements I refuse to install those though. The ones on the car probably look better than those

Picked these up at advanced last night. Came home and opened the box to find these inside. Looks like they ve been through Katrina lol

Not very 'Advance"ed are they?

Those guys should really stick to ArmorAll and BleacheWhite.
Although I must admit, since they are only one block from my house, I buy too many parts and stuff from them due to sheer conveneince.
I really need to move to Bethel, NC. ;-)

A nice sized sand blasting cabinet with floor mounted stand is approx $299 from Horrible Freight. (Not including abbrasive)
Throw in a $69 tumbler for the small parts, a $69 powder coat spray kit, a do it yourself oven box; and then the sky is the limit to what you can do when removing and refinishing old parts.

I am currently trying to figure out how much trouble I will cause when I convert my son's room into a parts refinishing room.
;-)

About a month ago I stuffed energy suspension in the front and in the rear end housing with UMI tubular upper and boxed lower rear arms. I noticed a 180 degree difference. The car used to wander crazy style and now it feels like I'm hovering down the road. The Energy Suspencion kit cost about $64 dollars thru Summit and the UMI upper and lowers were scored at the UMI website on a holiday sale at $280. Body bushings are next.

About a month ago I stuffed energy suspension in the front and in the rear end housing with UMI tubular upper and boxed lower rear arms. I noticed a 180 degree difference. The car used to wander crazy style and now it feels like I'm hovering down the road. The Energy Suspencion kit cost about $64 dollars thru Summit and the UMI upper and lowers were scored at the UMI website on a holiday sale at $280. Body bushings are next.

Whatever that all means.
'I stuffed" instead of "Installed this part in this place"
"Rear end housing"? - short for rear end suspension? I dunno.
"Hovering"..ok - I had these results..

Is that some new age hipster-speak?

Whatever that all means.
'I stuffed" instead of "Installed this part in this place"
"Rear end housing"? - short for rear end suspension? I dunno.
"Hovering"..ok - I had these results..

Is that some new age hipster-speak?

If you do not know what a rear end housing is or where control arm bushings go, it is understanable that you do not know the other terms. Research and asking questions is the gateway to knowledge, not degradation and insults. There are plenty of well informed people on this board that are more than happy to help you out. ;)

Use a hardened Neoprene or Bronze bushing in the upper rear, front Passenger side control arm, it won't melt...

That cover thing people sell does nothing but cook them from the inside -Rubber or Urathane- ,Out (it Roost the bolt it's attached too), instead out side, in, without...

The difference, if you've done the front an rear's won't be felt till over 60mph or in corners, It's Majorly noticed in improvement at 100mph +

Be sure to get a proper alignment after changing out....