controls wont move off defrost

Pull the unit out the front. Something's in a bind. Should be fairly straightforward.

it's pretty easy to change, jus some vaccum lines hookup to it if i remember correct from doing one once. just go the the junkyard and get one for a few dollars and change it.

Sometimes the foam seal on the door breaksdown and the glue residue is left to make the door stick.

When mine did this the little plastic stud that goes through the vacuum switch had broken off. All of this is on the right rear of the controls. Pull the bezel off and the controls out of the dash as far as you can (careful of the cable and wires - unplug whatever you can as it comes out) and feel the vacuum switch. This is a couple of round plates about 1" diameter with lots of hose nipples and hoses attached. The plates have channels in them and rotate to route the vacuum to the various flap valves. Anyway, when the stud broke the plates separated and the linkage got bound up so the control lever was stuck in defrost. If it's the switch, a new one from GM is about $10, or you can probably get a whole new control from a junkyard for that. I went new since I figured all the rubber parts from the junkyard would be as old and dry as mine were :).