You can type here any text you want

conversion car

• Thread starter Thread starter 84camaro
  • Start date Start date

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

84camaro

Hi All,

I hope that there is someone out there who can help me. I am putting a 3.8 Turbo Trans Am engine in a 84 Camaro Berlinetta. I am just wondering what I should do for front springs? I pulled the springs out that were in it, and the dealer said that they where from a 91 camaro with a 3.1, but the car had a 4-cylinder engine in it, and was bottoming out with almost every bump. Has anyone put a 3.8 into a Berlinetta? If you did can you tell me what springs you used? From what I have been able to read, a TTA orginally came with a BXX spring. Could I put this spring into a Berlinetta without creating any other problems? Although, from what I hear the BXX springs are no longer available. If I used a spring from a V8 Berlinetta how much would I have to cut off? And is there any springs that I can use that I will not need to cut?

Also, does anyone know what springs an 84 Camaro Berlinetta came with, and what the height of the spring is compared to that of the TTA.

Any help in this matter would be greatly apprecated!

Thanks!

Oh, No! Not a Camaro Swap!

I have a set of "Jemex" springs in my '87 and if anything the front end is only 1/4" higher with the V6 than the L98 that I had in it. Still has a nice "stance" to it. If you don't want lowering springs and have to have stock, I'd just get a set of Iroc or GTA springs and you'll be fine.
HTH

Its true. The turbo V6 is not that much lighter than a V8. Look at all the extra brackets and compnents we have under ther hood. All adds up. I would think your best choice would be to buy a set of Lowering springs for the front that are designed for a V8 car.

the buick 3.8 may not weigh much less than the L98 but enough to make a big difference, at least it did on my car. According to a few people I've talked to the TTA springs are WS6 spring with one coil cut..

Hi All,

Thanks for all the info!

But the real question to me is what works? Would I be better off get a BZX spring and cut off one coil, or would I be better off using a lowering spring on the front?

Thanks!

I think you'd be better off getting the lowering springs, any suspension piece found in a Berlinetta was NOT made for handling...

If it sat at or real near the right height with the berlinetta springs and bottommed out easily you probably need to look at new struts. Just a guess, though

Originally posted by webleyaz
If it sat at or real near the right height with the berlinetta springs and bottommed out easily you probably need to look at new struts. Just a guess, though

the rate on the berl. springs are much different, I personally wouldn't trust them. I have the stock WS6 springs in my GTA still, the ride height is hideous, I have moroso drag spings ready to be put in, if I didn't have them I would've have gotten a pair of lowering springs..

Springs......

We have a 86 Camaro that came from the factory with a 2.8L V6.
It now has a 3.8L buick and GN1 heads.
It is caged which may add about 150lbs or so through out the car but we left the stock front springs and added 90/10 struts and removed the swaybar. The rear susp. is a little more complicated if you need info on how to setup the rear susp. e-mail me please.

It runs 1.49 60' 10.92@122.89mph with 21lbs boost on DOT tires through the mufflers. Full interior ect.
Click here to see pic's >
Power Concepts, Inc.

Back