You can type here any text you want

Converting to fuel injection

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

LilSpann601

whats up i have a 81 gp with a 3.8 n/a I was planning on finding parts to do the turbo carb setup but it seems impossible to find parts...so I was thinking would it be possible for me to bolt on a grand national intake,throttle body,computer,wiring harness and etc....?

I believe you're going to also need the entire wiring harness from a donor vehicle to do the swap.

I'd say your best bet would be to keep an eye out for a wrecked TR with the engine/trans/ECM/harness, then just do the transfer. Also on fuel injected models the fuel tank and fuel lines are different and so is the fuel pump, as opposed to carbed models.

You could try to piece it together. But you will run into trans problems when you start to make power.

I converted a nice 86 Regal Limited about 2 years ago. It started life as a 307 V8 car. I had accumulated an entire drivetrain including rear axle. The swap was not easy . I ended up lifting the body off the frame to run the correct fuel/return/vapor lines. I also removed the dash and steering column to run the correct wiring harnesses.

The work was worth the effort. The end product turned out very nice. I ended up selling the car (should have kept it) and the guy who bought it is very pleased.

I'd steer you away from the carbed setup. If you are going to do it..........do it right and go with the 86-87 setup. Find a donor car and harvest the "organs" needed for the transplant.

You'll be suprised how many small parts are turbo specific.

Don't hesitate to email me if you have questions.

Dave

Attachments

• 2999271950051758239KlJIwJ_th.jpg
    2999271950051758239KlJIwJ_th.jpg
    2.7 KB · Views: 87
oh ok thanks its just i see so many parts for grand nationals on ebay and on here for sale so it would be easier just to convert to fuel injection then start looking for turbo parts

It's going to take some time and considerable money to convert your car not to mention time. It would be cheaper to see if you coud find a rebuilder. There's one on evilbay right now in FL for 1800 starting bid. Engines out and needs rebuilding. Perfect project.

Back