Cool Flow Intracooler, anybody tried one?

1badTTA

Resident Smart A$$
Here is the website.
http://www.coolflow.com/prod1.htm
It looks like a viable alternative to an air to air intercooler, but we all know that there are lots of products that should work but don't, I want to know what anybody elses view of this is. Especially if anybody has any data on it.

Looks very interesting! Has anyone on the board ever tried one? Looks like you have to tap into your A/C lines. Looks like they are taking stock cores and wrapping their stuff around it. Only problem is every time you need to take your motor out you would have to get your A/C system recharged?

Good point, I would be willing to do that if they really worked as they are claimed to by the manufacturer. Oh, BTW I found the link to it from a SyTy website, but figured that there are so many TR's that someone would have on on their car.

I talked to a company before that sold these kind of intercoolers. I think this is the same company. I emailed them about some questions on it and the guy called me the next day which was shocking. He then answered all my questions I asked and was very helpful and even told me they had one they had been using for testing that they would sell me for about $1000. They are normally around $2000 (thats what I was told back around September). The only thing I don't like about it is the fact when you really need it, WOT, the A/C shuts off so you have to rely on the cold air the A/C makes for a short time after you turn it off. Plus you have to constantly run your A/C for it to work. I decided to just wait and get a V4. If you do email them they are very helpful and very nice.

I know of one on a car.....I was going to buy it but a friend wanted it, so he has it.......

It works very very well as long as it is working.....since it is a more complicated system......theres more chance of things breaking.......the water pump died on my friends......but when working the inlet temp is below ambient.......

The up pipe is cold to touch.

After looking closely at this intercooler I see it is fully enclosed so it doesn't have any outside airflow across it. So if I am correct the A/C has to be running all the time?? Forget about that!

Well, how much power does the A/C draw normally? Nothing when it shuts off at full throttle. It appears as if it would still be effective at the end of a 1/4 mile run and would be cool again by the time you made it through the staging lanes, instead of waiting 45 minutes for everything to cool off. Sounds to me like it just needs a large enough reseviour to be still cooling at the end of your run, just wouldnt work if you were in it for about a minute straight, which could get pretty scary (160+)

I have one. When it works, it really makes a surprising difference. Low-end torque increases, etc.
Something went wrong with my A/C and it hasn't worked for almost a year. However, a friend charged the A/C system in June, but as he was charging in, an A/C line split. Even so, it still cooled off the intracooler. On the way home, I got on in while in 3rd gear. At ~10 psi, the wheels broke loose and the car started going a little sideways.
It is fully enclosed, but you're still going to get a cooling effect even w/o the A/C running, until the water becomes heat-soaked. Since the water circulates through an external heater core, the water should cool down on it's own even w/o the A/C.
The most aggravating things about it are:
(1) their system doesn't account for thermal expansion of water. So as the temp rises, the seals let water escape, and then when it cools down again, it creates an air bubble that prevents the electric water pump from circulating the water. The Great Dudeski fixed this same problem on a Syclone using an aluminum water reservoir, so I just need to do the same.
(2) when it comes time to working on the engine, you really can't remove the intracooler, but you can lay it to one side (like you would the A/C compressor).
(3) Living in Las Vegas' scorching heat, and having a car with an under-powered A/C-Heater Fan, it's really even tougher to get the car cooled off.

I have been kicking around the idea of taking it to a refrigeration shop, and seeing if they could install a refrigerator motor, etc. and R-22 to make the intracooler isolated. I realize the motor/compressor would be a huge power draw, but I think they make inverters large enough to handle this load. Anyone have any thoughts?

How much did you pay for it?? Does it fit in the stock location?? I was really looking for a option to a front mount.

I was going to do something similar but just an external coil in front of the Intercooler.

BTW: An R-22 system will work but will take longer due to the higher boiling point of R-22. This is exactly what I was going to use. I was going to put the unit in the trunk, out of the way and pipe to the coil in the front.

I am on the phone with them as i type this.....

He states this doenst cool any air when the A/C is not on!! He states the compressor turns off and the cold air that is stored is used. Thsi Requires plumbing through the A/C tap on the lines which run across the top of the radiator. I then asked how this works when the A/C is off, he stated it doesnt cool any air unless it was stored (like for a 1/4 mile run) Pricing was 1800 for a NEW unit or 1000 for a used one.

intercooler

DAMN for $2K you could make a built in ice maker and run liquid intercooler :D

I dont like the idea of using the AC compressor to cool the charge, takes a LOT of power to turn the compressor, ALTHOUGH I did go 12.20s in our BONE STOCK TT Impala ss with the A/C on :D ;) :D :cool:

GREAT!

Thanks for updating our collective pool of info on these.

They obviously have the capability to be the most effective intercoolers of all!

intercooler

There is no doubt they are the most efficient intercoolers on the market today, but the thought of extra weight by utilizing the AC, power loss by running the compressor, etc ....we would think that a well prepped liquid intercooler will be more effective, and at or cheaper than this setup.

all said and done though it is an interesting concept, actually just today a customer here asked us about the new (A/C run/cooled) intercooler someone is offering for the lightning, BUT the power is only available in short bursts.....being that even 50 shot of spray, alky, or propane would be just as effective, keep weight down, and last MUCH longer (time periods while at WOT)

<KM@>MPE Racing Fab.

and....heh heh

once the A/C turns off it would only take a matter of seconds for the intercooler to become heat soaked again.

It is still more efficient than water to air and probably the same amount of money and weight. How much was ATR's water to air again? If I remember correctly, it was like $2200! :eek:
The a/c on the Buicks does shut off at wide open throttle, so compressor drag is a non issue. When the compressor shuts off, you still have a good 20-30 seconds worth of cold air stored in the Evaporator before the temperature really drops. I would think most of the Buicks are faster than 20 seconds in the 1/4 ;) :D
The weight should be a non issue. Heck, a water to air intercooler also has a water reservoir. Remember that 1 gallon of water weights approx 8.34lbs.

Keith, I don't think I could say "BONE STOCK TT Impala ss " with a straight face. You crack me up man.

DITTO GNVAIR

Originally posted by GNVAIR

It is still more efficient than water to air [which is efficient than air:air] and probably the same amount of money and weight. How much was ATR's water to air again? If I remember correctly, it was like $2200! :eek:

The a/c on the Buicks does shut off at wide open throttle, so compressor drag is a non issue. When the compressor shuts off, you still have a good 20-30 seconds worth of cold air stored in the Evaporator before the temperature really drops.

[You'd only need to run the A/C long enough before each run to cool the intercooler...it need not "stay" on all the time, and as said above, it always shuts off at WOT]

I would think most of the Buicks are faster than 20 seconds in the 1/4 ;) :D

The weight should be a non issue. Heck, a water to air intercooler also has a water reservoir.

Lee covered all the bases, and hit a home-run! :)

Intercooler

What I was trying to say in my above post was that once you are at WOT, A/C turns off, and within a few seconds the intercooler becomes heat soaked again....and since it has no airflow coming into the IC unit....becomes a problem....so a few seconds would be available at WOT with the cooling effect, basically the same as spraying a 50 shot of N2O and letting off a second after you stand at WOT...

<KM>@MPE:cool: