coolest story!!!!!!!!!!

trbogn

This is a great story that happened last week. It may be a little long, but its pretty cool. Well last year a raced my buddy that I see a couple times a year in his 93 mustang with a powerdyne supercharger. It was on the street and I blew him away, I posted the kill in this section. Well, I guess this really made him upset so he set out to take his revenge on me. He gave me a call and wanted me to go to great lakes dragwya with him and race our cars. I agreed and was looking forward to seeing him and his car, since I had been at school the whole year. Well it turns out that he put twin turbos on his mustang. I did not know this and he made a point of hiding it from me until we lined up for our first race against each other. The turbos were hidden very well and he spent lots of time finding a used kit that was very hard to see under the hood. Well I totally missed it, I thought he was running jsut a stock 5.0, cuase he told me that he removed his supercharger, (now I realize that he still had his "got boost?" sticker in his window and he still had his boost gauge.) guess I should have caught it. Well I didnt even hear his turbos on teh way to the track, cuase I was running an open dump. so we lined up and his buddy was going to video us and capture the glory of his mustang killing my GN. I thought that I would beat him easily, but he was planning on surprising me and beating me badly. Well he had a 2.66 60 foot time (5 speed, 16 inch rims, and low profile tires, and about 600 horsepower.) Well he didnt have a full run and ran a 14.5 or something. I ran a 12.67 at 109mph and had a 1.96 60 foot time. I noticed his 86 mph 1/8 mile speed but didnt think anything about it. SO he still has not told me that he has twin turbos. his plan did not work, to surprise me and run a 125 mph trap speed. We did not get the chance to line up again. On his second run his engine blew at about 2/3 track and he had to get towed home. He thinks its his bottom end (stock 8#,### miles) He still ran a 13.8 at 108mph. thats when he finally told me that he was running two turbos and should have trapped at around 125 or so. I could not believe that he hid it from me for so long. I guess he was that upset over my basically stock GN beating him a year ago. Oh well. he finally jsut gave in and told me everything that he had done to his car since that last time I raced him. I jsut still cant believe that he hid it so well and that I didnt peice the puzzle together, (got boost sticker, boost gauge, laptop on passenger seat.) oh well, it was a fun day. I told him that he should jsut go ahead and buy a GN since even his car with two turbos cant beat me. LOL.
I had two other runs and beat a 35th anniversary trans am. I ran 13.4 at 109 (2.4 60 foot time) to his 14.5 @104. On the nest run I beat a twin turbo VR4. I ran a 12.9 @ 110 to his 14.##. It was a great trip, I set my new best 1/4 time and best MPH, and beat three nice cars. I also saw a 2003 cobra and it ran a 13.1.

bucks

haha yea, he needs to spend some of that money and drop in a turbo buick motor. He built his car for pretty cheap. He got a great deal on the trans and he sold his powerdyne and bought the used twin turbo and intercooler kit for about $3,000. he will have to spend a whole lot more now in order to rebuild a tougher bottom end.

Originally posted by trbogn

I had two other runs and beat a 35th anniversary trans am. I ran 13.4 at 109 (2.4 60 foot time) to his 14.5 @104.

Hmm if there was a 35th anniv. Trans Am it would be made in 2004. The 30th was in 99.
You mean the Yellow collectors edition. Als what was he doing wrong to run a 14.5 with LS1 power? I saw a Convertable SS run a 13.9.

yea, it was 30th then. Im not that familiar with these cars, just know that it was an anniv. edition trans am. It was white with blue racing stripes and I believe blue wheels. It also said WS6 on the back. His plate said something like "one rare bird" or some thing like that, I forgot, it did say rare in it though. How rare is this car?? It was not yellow though. which trans ams are yellow?? Yea I agree that 14.5 is pretty darn bad for an ls1 car, I guess he wasnt a very good driver. oh well, it was still fun running him.

Originally posted by trbogn
yea, it was 30th then. Im not that familiar with these cars, just know that it was an anniv. edition trans am. It was white with blue racing stripes and I believe blue wheels. It also said WS6 on the back. His plate said something like "one rare bird" or some thing like that, I forgot, it did say rare in it though. How rare is this car?? It was not yellow though. which trans ams are yellow?? Yea I agree that 14.5 is pretty darn bad for an ls1 car, I guess he wasnt a very good driver. oh well, it was still fun running him.
That's a 1999 TA ----sweet ,I wanted one of those but decide I wanted more HP than looks ,,thus the GN was born :cool: :cool:

Twin turbos and he only ran a 14.5! :eek: I ran better than that in my Mustang BONE STOCK down to the stock air filter!

Geeze, he's upset about getting beat by a stock GN, I wonder how he'd feel getting beat by a bone stock 5.0!

Sounds like he has a small traction problem, among other things! (blown engine):D

BTW, the 30th TA is a gorgeous car, IMO.

Yeah, a guy brought his in to work (I'm a Mechanic) and that was the coolest T/A I have EVER seen. It had a butt-load of mods on it, tons of parts in the hood, and when I was under it I saw traction bars, Borla exaust, and thick sway bars, interior was beautiful!

I about sh*t a brick!

Re: Re: coolest story!!!!!!!!!!

Originally posted by Kyle F
Hmm if there was a 35th anniv. Trans Am it would be made in 2004. The 30th was in 99.
You mean the Yellow collectors edition. Als what was he doing wrong to run a 14.5 with LS1 power? I saw a Convertable SS run a 13.9.
Hey Kyle not trying to start anything but the 2002 was the 35th anniversary TA the production run started in 1967 same as the Camaro and 2002 -1967 = 35 also the Camaro is available in 2002 as a 35 th anniversary car also. Jus tryin to help :D

Re: Re: Re: coolest story!!!!!!!!!!

Originally posted by Gunner Jake
Hey Kyle not trying to start anything but the 2002 was the 35th anniversary TA the production run started in 1967 same as the Camaro and 2002 -1967 = 35 also the Camaro is available in 2002 as a 35 th anniversary car also. Jus tryin to help :D
I may be wrong, but I believe you are only half right. The Firebird may have come out in '67, but the first Trans Am was produced in '69. Hence, the 30th Anniv. Edition came in 1999, 20th Anniv. (and Turbo) Edition came in 1989, and so on.

Ryan

Re: Re: Re: coolest story!!!!!!!!!!

Originally posted by Gunner Jake
Gee I hate when people do this. Do you really think I would have corrected him if I didnt know what I was talking about?
Yes the first firebird was made in 67, but Pontiac does not make Annivesary edition Firebirds, unlike Chevy who goes back to 67... why a Z28 was available in 67. It was just an optionn code for a road racer to begin with. It only became available to the public in mass produced form in 69, though if you knew what you were looking for you could get one in 68, but in 67 it was only available to those who could get a special car from Chevrolet for racing purposes.

So think about it like this for the Trans Am, if the 20th came in 89 how would 02 be the 35th?

There's no need to get defensive my original interpretation of the statement was that the Pontiac F-body wasn't currently available as a 35th not the TA specificaly the way most people use the term Trans Am is that it is THE Pontiac F-body, most people completely disregard the Formula and standard Firbird completely and refer to them as a TA. I know it was an option code just like a Z-28 or Berlinetta for Chevrolet. There isn't any reason to get hostile, just my mistake of the original comment nothing more.:)

Yes the 302 was a vailable in 67, it was made specifically to compete in the Trans Am racing series. THey had a displacement limit of 305 Cu. in., so Chevy chose to make a high revving engine out of what they had, I think it was a 285 block and a 327 Crank (Not completely sure on this, but its somethign like that)
It was rated at 295hp, but..... When the 302 was assembeled in had hig compression Pistons, milled heads and a nice cam shaft. I think there were some other little tricks that Chevy hid in it to, it was actually aroun 390HP out of a small block. THe only problem with it was that it didnt have the torque needed to be a stop light and drag race queen(ala the S2000 today). Consequently it was not seen to be as fast as it was. It was a road racer of the lat 60's and a great corner carver of the day, Compared to todays cars its not much.

Gunner I specifically said Trans Am, I am not a Buick guy, I am an F-body guy and when I call a Trim level I am being specific. Tere is a difference... A big difference between all 3 trim levels in Pontiacs stable. When I say Trans Am I mean Trans Am. The original statements were abotu a Trans Am at the race track, again specifically Trans Am.
There is no Trans Am, Formula or Firebird offered this year as a 35th Anniv car, none period. There is the Collectors edition, which is to send off the Trans Am in style(only available in the Trans Am trim).
Only Chevy has the 35th SS, and only the SS is availble with the Trim unlike in 87 where you could get wither an LT4 SS 30th Anniv or a LT1 Z28 30Th.
This ought to fill your head with lots o' information for the next car show.
Oh BTW, no offense taken

I believe the 302 was made using the 327 block with the 4" bore and the 283 crank with the 3" stroke.

Originally posted by dboosted1
But he can trap at 125 mph. I doubt your stang can do that!

All that means is he'd be the first to the timeslip shack to find out he lost.