Cooling Fan Stays On.

I just changed the Coolant Fan Temp Switch. Then,I turned the key on. Hey!...no fan this time! That's gotta be the fix.
Before,the fan stayed on when the key was on. Even when the engine wasn't running. My PowerLogger showed it was off.

I didn't have a chance to warm the engine to see if the fan actually comes on now. Some day soon.

The switch is right there buried behind the FPR,near those steel vacuum tubes that are bolted down. It's tough to get to unless you take the FPR off. One green wire.

I managed to get in there by only unclipping the throttle cable's e-clip.

Tools: Short 13/16 socket and a 3/8 univeral along with a 6in extension and ratchet.

*** Just lay the socket on top of the switch since the socket might not be deep enough...then push the universal in,which will only go 1/2 way into the socket. But that's enough.

I also had some success with a 13/16 wrench,pushing it vertically down on the switch and using a 12in extension as a t-handle in the closed end of the wrench. Sort of like an inverted crows-foot kinda thing.

The part was $15. Fairly easy to change with the right tools. Teflon the threads.

Congratulations! Did you use teflon paste or tape? I think you are supposed to use paste (just a small dab) but I'm sure someone here will clarify it for us.

Make sure the body of the switch, NOT the terminal up top or wire, reads to battery ground with very low ohms since it's a simple grounding switch when activated, the threads need to touch metal and not be insulated by too much tape if used.

Don't mean to hijack this thread but I'm having a similar but different issue with my fan:
The fan comes ON when the ignition switch is turned to the off position and the fan turns OFF when the ignition switch is turned on/car running. Weird right? I changed the delay relays and I have a switch that turns the fans on and off. I checked that manual switch and changed it as well with no solution. The car has a FAST on it but I find it hard to believe that this is causing the issue since the fan keep running with the ignition switch off. With the ignition switched off, the fan is running, I pulled the plugs out of the delay relay and the fans stop running. With the ignition switch on/car running, no fan, I played with the wiring going into the relay to see if someting is not making contact, but no solution, no fan operation until I switch the car off, then the fans roar to life.

Do you all think that this Coolant Fan Temp Switch could be causing my problem?

Thanks

Shev

Don't mean to hijack this thread but I'm having a similar but different issue with my fan:
The fan comes ON when the ignition switch is turned to the off position and the fan turns OFF when the ignition switch is turned on/car running. Weird right? I changed the delay relays and I have a switch that turns the fans on and off. I checked that manual switch and changed it as well with no solution. The car has a FAST on it but I find it hard to believe that this is causing the issue since the fan keep running with the ignition switch off. With the ignition switched off, the fan is running, I pulled the plugs out of the delay relay and the fans stop running. With the ignition switch on/car running, no fan, I played with the wiring going into the relay to see if someting is not making contact, but no solution, no fan operation until I switch the car off, then the fans roar to life.

Do you all think that this Coolant Fan Temp Switch could be causing my problem?

Thanks

Shev
When you unplug the delay relay (the big one with 2 plugs) does the fan work properly? Fan should not come on as soon as you start the car. It should not come on until a certain temp is reached. If it does come on after reaching temp, then it is likely the delay relay. If it comes on as soon as you start the car, then sensor. You should always leave the delay relay unplugged. It only causes problems. With a 160* stat it is not needed.

Thanks Steve,

Sorry I should have mentioned that I have an on/off switch for the fans so they would run off the switch inside the car at any temp. What is super strange is that the fans would run with the ignition switch turned OFF and when the ignition switch is turned ON then the fans would not run. I checked and even changed out that on/off switch with no solution.

Regards,
Shev

Congratulations! Did you use teflon paste or tape? I think you are supposed to use paste (just a small dab) but I'm sure someone here will clarify it for us.

I finally got to see if the switch was the problem. That was the problem. I used just a small amount of Teflon tape. I do have the paste. It comes in a small tube. Instead I used the tape. No leaks.

Thanks to everyone who helped me with this!