You can type here any text you want

cooling issue

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

tford

Registered Member
If my car was sitting and hasn't been ran for 6 months, would the thermostat need replaced. I'm pretty sure it is sticking. My temp got to 210 yesterday and the upper rad hose was still pressurized. In a stock car, what temp should the fan come on?

Are you sure the water/coolant is topped off?
Stock fan comes on at 195 I THINK, certainly before 210.

coolant is topped off and overflow is at full level. 160 t-stat is definetly not opening at 160. I just wanted to make sure that is it before buying one.

Where do you live? Was it hotter than hell outside?

I have a 160 in my car with dual puller fans sucking through it. When the temps around here hit 90+ degrees I saw my temps hit 210 sitting in traffic with the AC on max. If there is no way to get cooler air (read that, sitting on a blacktop road with road temps above 120 degrees in a black car running the AC with other hot cars sitting all around you) then the car will run hotter.

PA/MD line. Outside temps were 85+ and it only did it sitting still but cruising 65 mph the engine temp was still about 190. My a/c was not on either and I don't have a front mount. I'm going to test the t-stat to see if it is opening at 160.

If it's a stock radiator its probably time to have it recored or get a cheapy f-body radiator for $110.

Back