You can type here any text you want

copper in oil :(

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

MNwe4

Well after a fun weekend of racing I went to change my oil and found a few copper like flakes on my magnetic drain plug. This concerned me so I cut apart my filter and found a not so pleasant surprise. No actual flakes like on the drain plug, but the oil in the filter looked like a metallic paint. Filter element was coated with it as well. This means excessive bearing wear (crank, rod, cam) correct? Looks like I have a new winter project.

Any ideas as to what caused this? I have always had VERY good oil pressure. This particular weekend I was running 24-25 psi boost and winding it out to 6100 rpm. The engine is girdled, but I am using stock crank and rods.

flakes or dust? flakes could be from copper spray on head gaskets if you sprayed them

flakes or dust? flakes could be from copper spray on head gaskets if you sprayed them

There were a few flakes on the drain plug that I could actually pick up. However, everything in the oil filter was fine particles. I guess I could describe it as copper glitter, and there was a lot of it. Engine has been together for four years and head gaskets are commetic.

Don't sound good that's for sure. I've been down the copper oil road several times. :( I send ALL my oil changes to Blackstone Labs to have them checked for metal. You can also send them the filter and they will tell you just how high the levels are along with what else is in there. They can tell by the material how bad it is but it sounds like your crank did the fish out of water dance on one of your passes.

Not all bearings use copper but excess ferrous metal on the magnet is no good. Pull it and tear it down

Motor will be coming out this winter. Even with the girdle, is this something that could be occuring from the stock crank flexing? From older posts I've read the stock crank can take you quite far, but reliability could become a concern.

I have a very strong feeling your main and rod bearings are nice and golden colored.

Thanks for the replies guys. I think what I'm looking to do is pull the motor, have a quick look just by pulling the oil pan off, and then take the still assembled motor (heads, intake, timing cover) to a machine shop who actually knows these engines and what to look for. So far the only recommendation I have is Wildcat Performance from a friend who has used them a couple times. That's down in Georgia and I'm in Minnesota. Anybody have experience with them or can anyone recommend places in the northern midwest or other shops they have had good experiences with? Tryin to see what options I have.

"have is Wildcat Performance from a friend who has used them a couple times. That's down in Georgia and I'm in Minnesota."

Been doing engines, etc, here in Ga for 40 yrs... Have never heard of them. I use Garry Grimes, in Alpharetta.

Chuck, Wildcat is located in Adel, GA and specializes in Buick GS and turbo engines. From what I've read reviews are positive, there's just not a whole lot of info on them that I have found. Hoping at least a few people can comment on them from personal experience.

Kevin, thanks for the link. From what I've sifted through today it looks like DLS in Indiana and RPE in Connecticut are two heavy hitters. Wonder how much their pricing reflects their popularity?

Anyone else car to share their opinion on engine builders of choice? The last time the motor was out of the car was not a pleasant experience and I'm looking to have a smoother transaction this time around.

Back