You can type here any text you want

Could we estimate ET from Power Logger data ??

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Mike T

Seems very possible with all of the data that it's collecting. I would think the vehicle speed graph (for rate of acceleration) injector DC for (estimated HP) and the second counter at the bottom of the PL screen could all be used in a formula to calculate estimate ET.

Of course speedo would need to be accurate but wouldn't this work?

Seems very possible with all of the data that it's collecting. I would think the vehicle speed graph (for rate of acceleration) injector DC for (estimated HP) and the second counter at the bottom of the PL screen could all be used in a formula to calculate estimate ET.

If your looking for et you need the distance you run the car.mark off a section of the road and test away.i like to see mph gained within those distances and if you know the weight of your car you have what you need.

It's possible, but not with the normal outputs. According this (http://www.turbobuicks.com/forums/b...-tech/63360-how-many-pulses-per-mile-vss.html) the vehicle speed sensor registers 2000 pulses for every mile driven with a stock diameter (26") tire.

That's 0.3787878787878... pulses per foot.

So, if you can count pulses instead of getting a MPH reading, then once you start moving, assuming zero wheel slip, you're at 1,420 feet after 538 pulses of the VSS. Now, I'm not even going to try and reverse the math to get VSS pulse count from MPH, because it would be a gross approximation. The MPH reading uses the VSS to get a rate (number of VSS pulses in an interval), it doesn't count them beyond the interval.

Probably easier to just go buy a GTech.

I bracket race my car most weekends spring to fall. I have to keep the car on a dial. Temperature, humidity, DA, AD and grains of water greatly affect HP. Between rounds 4 and 5 last weekend my car picked up a full tenth and a half on a 13 percent humidity drop. Estimating is just that...estimating. You need to get to the track and find out what the car will do.

Lol...... I've been tracing speedo graphs from 1/4 mile logs others have posted with known ETs and laying them over mine to see how closely they match:). Not very scientific but it seems to give a basic idea.

Gonna head to the track before too long and turn it up slowly.

NO. How are you goin to figure the 60' ?? That effects ET with a bad or good short time. Take it to the track :cool: Or just agree with guys that have built up cars for sale when they say "It SHOULD run 9's" :p Always have the "Butt dyno" to. :rolleyes:

Lol...... I've been tracing speedo graphs from 1/4 mile logs others have posted with known ETs and laying them over mine to see how closely they match:). Not very scientific but it seems to give a basic idea.

Gonna head to the track before too long and turn it up slowly.
Is this a street car or track car?big difference inmo.if your street logging and trying to compare against a track logged pass they are apples and oranges

Is this a street car or track car?big difference inmo.if your street logging and trying to compare against a track logged pass they are apples and oranges

Street car, I know you couldn't simulate the launch accurately but I would think if the VSS/speedo signal going to PL is accurate and you compare graphs and determine the quicker or slower of two cars.

This log was said to be a 11.11 @ 122 obviously the MPH is a little off. Between the two black lines should be fairly close to the1/4.

I added the blue and yellow lines for a visual, blue car is quicker than 11.11 and yellow is car slower.

Crude and a few variables but just trying to take it to the simplest form. The VSS pulses per second could be a way of finding how many feet the car should have traveled in a given period.

As long as it's not spinning a steeper arc would indicate a better 60 also.

pl speedo graph.jpg

Street car, I know you couldn't simulate the launch accurately but I would think if the VSS/speedo signal going to PL is accurate and you compare graphs and determine the quicker or slower of two cars.

This log was said to be a 11.11 @ 122 obviously the MPH is a little off. Between the two black lines should be fairly close to the1/4.

I added the blue and yellow lines for a visual, blue car is quicker than 11.11 and yellow is car slower.

Crude and a few variables but just trying to take it to the simplest form. The VSS pulses per second could be a way of finding how many feet the car should have traveled in a given period.

As long as it's not spinning a steeper arc would indicate a better 60 also.

View attachment 309970
Get the distance right,then you or a buddy to stopwatch the car through that distance.then the real fun begins where you get to figure out how to lay down fast street passes;)

I don't have the PL program in front of me, but can the PL data be exported to a CSV? don't remember. Could then do a curve fit in excel of the velocity vs time data and integrate it to get distance vs time. Just a thought.

Memory banks scrambled, it was direct scan that had a CSV option.

Powerlogger records 18 frames per second. Push the right arrow 18 times and you've moved 1 second in time.
Most new phones have an accelerometer in them. You would think that someone makes an app for this.
The G Tech Pro is very accurate.

Powerlogger records 18 frames per second. Push the right arrow 18 times and you've moved 1 second in time.
Most new phones have an accelerometer in them. You would think that someone makes an app for this.
The G Tech Pro is very accurate.

Frames per second brings up a good point, on the config page that can be changed and mine is set to 20 per second. Curious if this affects the playback of others files that were recorded at fewer FPS?

When looking at a file with a designated ET, 0-1 MPH has been the starting frame for the counter and peak MPH in combo with decreased TPS has been the WAG for the end of the run.

LOL found a couple of files that their "10 second run" actually was closer to 12.... maybe they stayed in it for a couple of seconds after the finish line:confused:....MPH was indicative of a 12.0 run too

Been looking at the G Tech since a couple of you guys have mentioned it.

That's 0.3787878787878... pulses per foot.

That would be accurate enough to get it very close if the signal was consistent and reliable. Seems like a good VSS would be the key to making this work.

NO. How are you goin to figure the 60' ?? That effects ET with a bad or good short time. Take it to the track :cool: Or just agree with guys that have built up cars for sale when they say "It SHOULD run 9's" :p Always have the "Butt dyno" to. :rolleyes:

Hey Grumpy, congratulations to you and your daughter on all of the recent successes! You guys certainly have your stuff in order.

Last edited:
Idk if it's been said but I have calculated my 0-60 times just by going in the log and noting the time/frame and the mph . I know that there is some apps that do 1/4 times via GPS . This app real dash is free and pretty cool . I'm working with bob to figure out how I can connect it to revive live data . http://www.realdash.net/
IMG_0553.PNG

Back