Counting my lucky stars...

Turbosix6

PORSCHE KILLER
Well, I was on the hwy heading to E-town for SLP day and my driveshaft decided to take a dump at about 1xx mph. It sounded like a bomb exploded under my car - I thought the motor let go, but it was the driveshaft scooting to the shoulder. (aftermarket shaft to boot)

No damage to the underside except my exhaust is hammered, but the bolts sheered off in the rear (where the u-joint connects). Where can I get this peice new?? Or is it junk yard issue only?

I'm hoping I didnt hurt the motor, do you think it overrevved when the shaft let loose? I hear a little clicking sound in the front of the engine if I rev it quickly. Its not a knock type sound, just a short clicking sound and it doesnt happen at a steady rev only with a quick snap of the throttle.

Could have been a whole lot worse!

I've been thinking about the driveshaft loop, and now that is my next purchase!

Okay, the clicking coming from one of the pulleys. Anyone know where to get a new pinion yolk?

Driveshaft Loop??

What kind of damage would you have if you had a driveshaft loop?? Would the driveshaft have pounded its way through the floor?? Just courious.:confused:

I think if I had a driveshaft loop things would have been really bad. I dont think the shaft would have torn away as cleanly if at all and may have even locked my rear wheels up. But, all Buicks Turbos come with an aluminum strap up front that has the same basic function as a loop, so in that sense, the front of the shaft did not dig in.(so the buick "loop" did just fine)

I am just amazed that my wheels didnt lock up or that I didnt get a cut tire (M&H street) with all the shrapnel.

The driveshaft failed pure & simple - critical speed was met and the shaft came apart at the center. I will be going to the shop that made the shaft for me on Monday to see what he has to say. ( By the way, Spicer u-joints survived the destruction of being spit at 130)

All I can recommend is that before anyone trys high mph driving or drag racing make sure that you have a damm good driveshaft.

Probably would be best to go to a driveshaft shop to buy that yoke or to GM. Even if you found one in a yard, would probably be hard to get off because of the pinion nut. Don't know for sure if it has to be for 8.5 rear or if 7.5 would work.

Yeah, probably nothing to those safety regulations for driveshaft loops anyways!

Who needs em?

Maybe the guy behind you that you just blew by, you know....the one with the shaft loged in his neck!

Who gave you the shaft?:eek: I mean, who made the shaft for you? I bought a nice one from Denny's driveshaft. Excellent quality and service. http://dennysdriveshaft.com/ They also made the driveshaft for my 750 hp Chevelle and it survived the poundings I gave it.

KM Driveline in Brooklyn, NY did the shaft. I went there today and asked them what the F*** happened. His reply, "it must be something wrong with your car or maybee your tranny is loose." (Heres where my top blows :mad:

I ask, what standards did you use to design my shaft??

His answer, "I been building d/s for 14 years, maybee the size might have been a little small for your application :mad: :mad: :mad:

I tell him I could be dead or mamed becuase of his neglegence

His answer, "well if you still have your reciept I can give you some credit towards a new shaft."

A new shaft from you??!! What are you effin crazy??

I tell him that I researched it on the net & that the only way a shaft breaks in the middle is when critical shaft speed is reached or an improper tube size was used.

He asks me how fast I was going & tell him about 140 mph, he points to a stock shaft on the table and says that shaft will spin 140 no problem.

I tell him how the hell do you know that it will last to 140 without testing it.

No answer

Finally, I ask him how he would determine the proper D/S size for 2 cars that run 10's but one car weighs 1500 lbs less.

His answer - Look, I been building shafts for 14yrs..... yada yada yada

Yea right :rolleyes:

I found dennys on line & the most important questions a D/S maker should ask are the weight of the car & auto or stick.

Also, Dennys D/S told me that when the car is in over drive that the shaft spins faster than the engine. ( no way KM took that into account)

Well, Im just happy that I am in one peice.