You can type here any text you want

Couple of audio ??

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

imjoesnuffy

I just break stuff!
Time to get my car's stereo system working properly. The radio in it works, but has gremlins and cuts out sporadically. I don't think I own a single cassete tape, so that's not an option either.

For you junkyard dogs out there, what vehicle's radios fit in a TR? I am not opposed to using any of the new aftermarket radio's either, but that is a big hole to fill.

I have been to a couple different sound shops and they all tell me that I need 4x10's for the rear deck and they don't carry them. I have seen a few on ebay and in a couple different catalogs. Is there a way to upgrade to 6x9's?

Going to replace everything, I do have the Concert sound option. I am not looking for an overwhelming powerful system, just looking for a good quality sound. Any recommendations would be appreciated.

I have tried the search function, but I guess I am not using the right keywords???

Early next year I am going to have some stuff just for this situation:wink:

There are a few radios out there that will play with your stock set up. Go to audio section and search "replacement" should be some good stuff in there.

You will not get a nice clean sound from a stock gm player.

Get this JVC HD cd player JVC Mobile Entertainment \ Model KD-HDR1 \ Introduction

There is installation kits that fit nicely in our cars using the stock radio brackets (so don't throw the stocker away).

Forget those 4x10 speakers and go with any 6x9 coax with the adapters. Got with a decent pair of components in the fronts.

This should under $500.

One word for cheap decent equipment. Powerbass.................

Just finished up my WE4 with all Powerbass speakers.

Get a decent head unit, put bass blockers on your 3.5" dash speakers, replace the door 5.25"s and install rear 6x9s. Should sound 10x better than stock delco! HTH

OK so here is where I am at with the stereo upgrade. If you see any thing that you think won't work, just point it out.

Receiver:

Kenwood KDC-MP635 CD receiver with MP3, WMA, & AAC playback at Crutchfield.com

6x9's

Kenwood Excelon KFC-X690 6"x9" 2-way car speakers at Crutchfield.com

5.25's

Kenwood KFC-1390ie 5-1/4" 2-way car speakers at Crutchfield.com

I like the idea of the component speakers here, but I don't wan't to cut my door for the smaller speaker. I know there are pods like the q-form as well, but I access the ECM alot when working on my car and that would just be something else in my way.

3.5's

Boston Acoustics S35 3-1/2" 2-way car speakers at Crutchfield.com

The dash speakers are the hardest to find in 4 ohm resistance. As I learned from another member here, you don't want to run 2 and 4 ohm stuff at the same time. Anyone see any issues with these speakers as far as them fitting?

Might Go with a small powered subwoofer in the trunk, still undecided on that. Thinking something along the lines of this:

Kenwood KSC-WD250 10" powered subwoofer at Crutchfield.com

I know there are better subwoofer manufacturers out there but, this one fits nicely according to my measurements.

I found a local shop that will do the install for me. I could do it myself but I would rather take it to them and have it done in 2-3 hours as opposed to taking my whole day. Thanks for the help everyone.

Looks like you have it figured out. Yes, on the sub enclosure 13 1/4" is the MAX height you can fit in these cars. Dont ask me how I know!:rolleyes: I measured wrong once! Good Luck........ but I still wouldnt have anybody install it for you......... do it your yourself.

Okay, fine. Have a reputable stereo shop do it, not some 16 yr old kid at BEST BUY!:eek:

I found a local shop that will do the install for me. I could do it myself but I would rather take it to them and have it done in 2-3 hours as opposed to taking my whole day. Thanks for the help everyone.

It'll take longer than 2-3 hours for sure. Running the wires to the trunk is a pain in the ass.

I could probably do the speakers and head unit in a few hours though.

also inexpensive and nice sounding are Polk db series coaxials and subs. I have put alot of these in, for the cost they will impress.

Thanks for the help everyone. I installed everything myself without any problems. Unbelievable difference :eek: I haven't done the sub yet, will look into that at a later time. The radio I listded above has a built in crossover type function that allows you to tune for each speaker. So I am getting enough bass for now.

Take care,
John

I think you made pretty good choices...I would have done a 5.25 comp set with the tweeter in the dash location though.

Back