You can type here any text you want

couple questions brakes and trim pieces

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

87we4turbot

ok got a couple questions.......i am starting to clean up my dad's 87 Turbo T. She has 53000 original miles but has been sitting outside :eek: she is now protected inside but needs some woek. One of the first things is brake issues. The last few times i have driven it the brakes have acted strange. if i try a panic stop and hit the pedal it doesn't want to move for a second then it releases and the pedal pushes in and the car stops. If i come to a slow roll and put my foot on the brake a little at first it stops as normal....not sure what is going on. Today i looked at it to see if it was low on fluid but seemed ok. With the key to the on position when i push the brake in i can hear whasounds like a relay click and a vacuum leak underhood by the brake booster. Any ideas to start with? The other question is can i still get a headliner board for this car. Ours is pretty bad and wanted to see if it could just be replaced. Also the metal trim piece under the windhield wipers. Can it be sanded and repainted and if so what color? Ours is starting to rust on the corner and i wanted to clean it up. Sorry for such a long post i am sure i will be here more often asking questions and appreciate any help. Oh and here are some obligatory pics :)

67159414-M.jpg

67150582-M.jpg

I believe it was Brian at gbodyparts.com that had a plastic replacement headliner of some kind. Best bet on the windshield cowl piece is to get it powercoated "trim black." It'll be the last piece on your car to fade or rust if you do. Are you certain what you're hearing isn't your powermaster pump running? You may be in need of a new pressure switch or accumulator(the big black ball). It stores the hydraulic pressure that assists the brakes on these cars. Then again- it could be a sticky/pulsating master cylinder(I've had one of those too).

ok gotta bump...went out today and moved the Buick out. As soon as i touched the brake pedal it pulled itself to the floor without me pushing it all the way. Then i had to pull it back up. The slightest pressure and the brakes would apply themselves and lockup. Any idea what this is????

Until I read your last post I would have said your have a bad accumulator. Mine went the exact same way. You may have both a bad acc and pressure switch.
Run some diagnostics from here http://www.gnttype.org/techarea/brakes/brakespage.html

You may be in for some work with that PM. I ended up rebuilding mine. these PM units don't like to sit. They like to be used

Back