Cracked ATR header

Felpro 1400 gaskets work very well. Felpro stock replacement (even though they didn't have them stock) do not work. Designed for cast iron manifolds, not tubular headers. We use the 1400 gaskets on every aluminum headed Buick. If you don't, the steel flange will fret the aluminum head BAD!

Never had problems with F/P 1400. As long as the flange isn't warped and it's tightened correctly, there should be no issues.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

I replaced both header gaskets with Felpro 1400's. I used copper gasket maker on the turbo to header and turbo to downpipe. I smoked it again and found a very small leak at the turbo to downpipe. Not worth messing with. Blm's jump from 126-129 now. Mostly stays at 128. 134 had been the norm. Engine is much quieter now too.

At one time, the idea of cutting the flanges between cyls was thot to help relieve stress on the welds, reduce leaks.
NE1 have a definitive answer as to yea or nay?

I replaced both header gaskets with Felpro 1400's. I used copper gasket maker on the turbo to header and turbo to downpipe. I smoked it again and found a very small leak at the turbo to downpipe. Not worth messing with. Blm's jump from 126-129 now. Mostly stays at 128. 134 had been the norm. Engine is much quieter now too.
Leaks on the down pipe side have no effect on normal BLMs since they are after the turbo - also once thermal expansion kicks in - a lot of those areas tighten up. Glad to hear your other leaks got taken care of.

aaron

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

At one time, the idea of cutting the flanges between cyls was thot to help relieve stress on the welds, reduce leaks.
NE1 have a definitive answer as to yea or nay?
There is a post from Nick saying he used to do that back in the day...When I had my exhaust manifolds welded I told my welder that was an option if he couldn't get the flange trued up. Turns out the flange was straight so we didn't cut. I would like to know too for the next time...

I have found that installing an inconel bellows in the cross over delays cracks the best. Note I said delay. Its only a matter of when, not if a turbo header will crack.