cracked manifold

japSW20

Discovered my manifolds were cracket today,pass. side 1st runner completely cracked all the way around :eek: .Can this be welded with a MIG? I dont have the cash to buy a new one so i have to repair this somehow

If you buy I new manifold, I would stay away from the Poston ones. When I got mine it was not flat and I had to machine the surface to fix it. And to top it off, I just took it off today to repair an exhaust leak I heard from the DR side and the darn this has cracked worse than my original OEM DR header.!! It has several crackes all along the weld joints and I can see light coming through it is a few places when I hold it up to the sun.
I may try the ATR stainless DR replacement next...does anyone else have any ideas for a good replacement header.

pretty much heard the ATR is the way to go, SE Turbo does have recon STOCK ones for $100 I think it was

I had one cracked nearly in half. Had it heliarc'ed and it is good to go. Just find a good shop to do it, and see if they can weld in another piece to support the weight.

Squid

:cool: I had an ATR replacement driver side and after it cracked for a second time (first crack fixed by ATR) I threw it away but the header did look good!! Bought Postons headers and crossover and so far so good. A friend has the Atr with no problems. The point to all of this is that I guess you can find a bad apple anywhere. :biggrin: (PS: I have the skill and teck. to repair/weld leaking exhaust problems along with nuclear reactors and I put the ATR where I wanted it, the $hit can) :eek:

leaks

Hi,
Generally,there are not a lot of problems with exhaust manifold leaks that can not be solved with a judicious welding job. By looking at the Poston and ATR headers, it is clear they flow better. The question, apparently, is will they last? We don't want to be welding constantly, for sure. I am surprised that these premium parts are failing so fast. I have no experience with this, so would appreciate more feedback. What do you all think?
Dale

Judging by the fact that my poston header failed...I would probably try to weld up the stock DR header first before buying a new one, unless it is really beyond repair...which sound like it would be hard to do. I would make sure to bolt the header to an old cylinder head prior to welding.
GM has a good flowing header from the factory and you will not get any more performance out of the aftermarket stuff unless you are making serious h.p.
I believe every stock header on a GN will cracked by now, if you haven't had it out by now, it would make sense to check it...