You can type here any text you want

Crank bore measurement.. line hone needed?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Pablo

I have measured my crank journal bores without bearings installed but with the caps torqued down on the engine. To do this I used a dial bore gauge.
I would like to know what are the limits to out of round that would require a line hone.
The 12/6 oclock numbers are all exactly the same for all 4 bores. Okay.. one bore is about .0003 smaller than the rest.
For the measurement across the parting line, I measured from one side just beneath the parting line to the other side just above it. So its not quite at 3/9 oclock. This measurement was generally around .0035 wider than the 12/6 numbers. Is this normal?

Now Ive heard that bearings are produced with more clearance on the parting line to keep detonation from pinching them against the crank. With these measurements am I to assume that the crank main journal bores are cut with this same thing in mind?

Should be half a thou or less from vertical to parting line measurement.

Some delta-wall bearings are thinner at the parting line, but I think it's on the order of a half thou.

Back