You can type here any text you want

crank case pressure

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

chiefshocker

Live Every Shift
i had my car out over thanksgiving and it ran great.. lots of power, low end tourque and no carb issues. However it did two things i didnt like:

1. Water temp was upto 230-250 range
2. Oil was blowing out the dipstick.

i'm going to replace my thermostat, and i was thinking of running an oil catch can, with vent lines from the valve covers to relieve some pressure. I dont see a pcv valve to check.

83 t-type sandcar
justified leaf.jpg

Hate to say it but you blew a head gasket. The only other thing that it might be is a collapsed ring or damaged piston.:(

With all the blow by / extra pressure in the crank case, especially during high loads, I assumed i had a poor rings. But was hoping to just alleviate the pressure. Which part makes you think head gasket?

It could be blowby from worn cylinders or damaged rings, but it's more common for the head gaskets blown to cause this. Do a compression test first and go from there. If the compression test doesn't show much then do a leak down test. Most likely you're pulling at least the heads to see what's going on with it. Still love the idea of a sandrail, even though you have a maple leaf on it.:biggrin:

You may have an intake leaking into the lifter valley then. See what the oil smells like.

Oil smells normal.. no gas smells to it. Are those compression numbers pretty standard for these engines?

They're a little low. Did you take them with the engine warm or cold? You might try adding about a tea spoon full of oil to each cylinder and see how much they come up. If you go with a leak down test make sure to take the rocker arms off when you do it so you can just go fro one cylinder to the next and not have to rotate the engine for each cylinder.

Back