Crank sensor and Fuel pump troubleshooting

Busyman

[BAD HBT 6]
Im not a rockstar mechanic with these cars however they do hold a special place in my heart. So please bear with my non-technical termonology .
IMG_2629.jpg

It started idling bad (rich)a couple weeks ago and then it progressed to very rough idle and then dying. Changed spark plugs because I had an awful lot of carbon buildup on the old ones and they reeked of fuel. With the new plugs it started right up. Drove to Shell and filled up. No problems.
Next day, after driving for 5 minutes it just shut off. No codes. Im almost positive that it threw a SES light. After the tow truck dropped it off at the house, I was unable to retrieve any codes. However it started right up like it was brand new.
I do have a scan master and nothing seemed outta whack. Although I am not a mechanic, I have narrowed it down to needing an "Attitude Adjustment" or what ever you guys suggest. I have read through a ton of threads and everything seems to be pertinent. So I'm at a loss.
Questions:
1). Can I have a fuel pump going bad? If so would the car just die like that. No hesitation or sputtering? I know there is Warblo pump with a hot wire kit. all fuses are good.
2). Could it be a crank sensor? Please see pic below. Much to my surprise when I was under the car I noticed a some Antifreeze around the oil pan gasket, but I cannot pinpoint the leak??? and where the crank sensor reads the harmonic balancer, it appeared to be dirty and oily. Would that effect the reading of the crank sensor?

Thanks in advance,
Busman

It looks like the Antifreeze leak is coming from the water pump area, and you have the original crank sensor style.
You claimed you're not a rockstar mechanic, but it looks like you need to confirm the leak, and if it is the water pump you can replace it or remove the timing cover and replace the timing chain, chain tensioner, cam button, both sprockets, since the cam sprocket has the original nylon teeth, the front seal, and the water pump.
Keep in mind you still have to drop the oil pan for the timing cover and also replace the oil pan gasket.
Once you clean, and replaced all you also might want to replace the crank sensor and bracket since the original bracket won't be fitted with the new style crank sensor replacement.
Here is a great site on how to replace the timing chain: http://www.gnttype.org/techarea/engine/tchain.html

Thanks GNONYX. This motor was rebuilt around 3-4k ago and before I had purchased it by Gene Fluery. So hopefully that timing chain, ect.... was replaced. I will check out that water pump for the leak. I will also order a new crank sensor bracket. I hate to be a parts changer however, its probably a good idea to swap out some of these 25 year old parts anyways.
Busyman

Also..... How do I rule out fuel pump failure? I do have a Warlbro Fuel pump with a hot wire kit. Fuse is good but since I have owned the car it has always smelled like raw fuel. Now its even worse. Just sitting in the garage overnight the next morning heavy fuel smell.

Busyman

Also..... How do I rule out fuel pump failure? I do have a Warlbro Fuel pump with a hot wire kit. Fuse is good but since I have owned the car it has always smelled like raw fuel. Now its even worse. Just sitting in the garage overnight the next morning heavy fuel smell.

Busyman

I agree about doing things by changing parts, but sometimes it's the only way to solve a problem without expensive equipment to troubleshoot.
Any electrical or electronic devices has a limited life time and they do failed. My original crank sensor like yours still work, but when I replaced the timing chain I also replaced the crank sensor with the new style, since the original is no longer available. The crank sensor limited life time might expired and prevented you to start, but as far as you smelling excessive gas is another issue, especially sitting over night. I'm far from being an expert on these TR, but it sounds like your injectors is leaking after you shut the engine down. Do you have a fuel gauge on the fuel rail? I believe went you shut down the fuel gauge it should hold fuel pressure for about 20 minutes or so, and if not then you have a leak, or the gas vapor is not returning back into the gas tank. As I mention before get both sensor and new bracket since the old style won't interchange. Do you have a Scanmaster, if so what are your #'s?
Left crank sensor is the old type and the one on the right is the new type with bracket

Attachments

• Crankshaft Sensor.jpg
    Crankshaft Sensor.jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 233
  • Picture 039.jpg
    Picture 039.jpg
    867.1 KB · Views: 267
That is an original 25 year old crank sensor that has been "abused" with antifreeze as well as age, so why would that not be the first item to replace? :confused:

GnONYX- I do have a fuel pressure gauge on the rail so I will check that. Thanks for the pics for reference. I do have a scan master and the Buick Manuals so I will research the fuel tank vacuum and venting lines and check that also. Scan master readings to follow!
To Nick- I will be ordering a new crank sensor tomorrow. Thx
Luckily I live 15 minutes from Highway Stars.
Busyman

GnONYX- I do have a fuel pressure gauge on the rail so I will check that. Thanks for the pics for reference. I do have a scan master and the Buick Manuals so I will research the fuel tank vacuum and venting lines and check that also. Scan master readings to follow!
Busyman

I don't know if they're open or not since the online store is close for vacation: http://www.nos4gn.com/servlet/StoreFront
If you live that close see if the walk in is open.

> Next day, after driving for 5 minutes it just shut off. No codes. I'm almost positive that it threw a SES light.

It is normal for the SES to turn on when the engine stalls. All it means is that the ECM stopped getting reference pulses from the DIS set up.

RemoveBeforeFlight

So did you buy the sensor, problem solved? I see HighwayStars offers a sensor/bracket kit with is less expensive than just the sensor. I'm wondering if it's because the sensor is ACDelco?

Busyman

Hi Busyman, Did you buy and install the crank sensor?
Did you repair the water pump leak?
If so how is it running?
If not what happen?

guys, are there any how to's on replacing the crank sensor? i have a not start right now and i want to start off w the crank sensor but im not sure if i need a special tool to set the gap on this thing. or do i just turn the motor by hand till i dont hear anything rubbing on the sensor?

Sorry for the delay in my response GNONYX. I have been very busy with work so I have had no time. However, I am going to make it a priority this week to replace the fuel pump and the crank sensor (and fix the leak). I will separate the jobs so I can try to figure out that the problem was. I will post back with updates.
Thanks
Busyman