Cranks but Doesnt Start.....

ROYAL_6

Hopefully some one out there can hand me a clue or and idea in what to do. As stated the motor cranks over but doesnt start. I have about 40-43psi of fuel pressure. Ive also have spark and compression is good. I checked the injectors and they are opening and Ive also checked all fusses. The engine has everything it needs, but it doesnt start. Any ideas? I was thinking it might be the crank sensor. But if the crank sensor was faulty, would the coil pack still fire?? Ive also checked the cam sensor, and its good. So any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Its summer and i would love to get my girl on the road... Thanks

hmm...all grounds good too, never had this problem myself, mines always fired right off anytime ive done any swapping, have you tried the troubleshoot list at gnttype?

hmm...all grounds good too, never had this problem myself, mines always fired right off anytime ive done any swapping, have you tried the troubleshoot list at gnttype?
i havent checked all the grounds yet and i havent gotten the troubleshoot list from gnttype eighter.. thanks.. ill try that..... any one else??????:D :confused:

How did you check the cam sensor. I just had the same problem. I checked the cam sensor using the caspers cam sensor adjust tool and found it was off. Reset and still no start. After looking everywhere else I pulled the cam sensor cap and found the screw holding the the cup with veiwing window was loose. I reset that and tightened down. The car fired right up.

How did you check the cam sensor. I just had the same problem. I checked the cam sensor using the caspers cam sensor adjust tool and found it was off. Reset and still no start. After looking everywhere else I pulled the cam sensor cap and found the screw holding the the cup with veiwing window was loose. I reset that and tightened down. The car fired right up.
well the way i checked it was with the casper adjust tool at first, just to see if i would get some sort of reading. secondly i used casper other cam sensor tool, wich it is suppose to start your car even if your cam sensor is no good.... but ill chech under the cap just to make sure everything is good...... DOES ANY ONE KNOW HOW THE CRANK SENSOR WORK??? MY question is, if the crank sensor is bad, would the coil's still fire??????? thanks for the suggestions......:biggrin:

DOES ANY ONE KNOW HOW THE CRANK SENSOR WORK???

The crank sensor and cam sensor are hall effect sensors. They're on or off. They send signals to the ECM that it used to determine the position of the cam and crank at which time it starts to fire the coils. If your sure the injectors are opening, you have fuel pressure, and you're getting good spark then I would take another look at the cam sensor. You know the whole garbage in garbage out theory? ;) Cause if you have all those things at the right time it will run, so something is off. The only other thing it could be is a lack air! The intake isn't plugged is it? FWIW If the crank sensor is bad it won't spark. I think that if the cam sensor is mis-adjusted it'll spark at the wrong time.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I thought the cam sensor was for injector timing and the crank sensor was for ignition timing????? Good luck JonHanson

just some advice

I would spray some starting fluid down the throttle body just to make sure that the injectors are spraying fuel. If it tries to start then you have a fuel problem.

If you have no crank signal the computer will not fire the injectors and the module will not fire the coils.
If you have no cam signal you will have injector pulse but no spark.

Crank sensor provides a reference signal to module which then tells the computer to start firing the injectors. Once the engine has fuel in the cylinders the cam sensor tells the module to start firing the correct coil for start-up.

If you have injector pulse and spark look for fouled spark plugs or crossed plug wires.

i had a problem like that harmonic balancer cracked parallel with the crank and it moved the slightest bit and shaved off one of the crank sensors plastic surfaces which made it fail, i vote a crank sensor maybe??
,Dan

Thank you all for all your help.... Im going to try a cranck sensor. Usuallyin wich teeth or slot does it have to be in? I tryed spraying starter fluid in the intake and it still wont start. It kinds of spud-tters like it wants to start but it all back fires on me.. I dont know if is because there is to much fuel in the combustion chamber, but it doesnt want to start. The turbo is good, so i dont really dont know what else to do... The plugs are new gapped at .32.... but after a whille i have to take them out and clean them because they get all get with fuel..... i just change the cam sensor about 8-9 months ago.. can it have gone bad already??? well guys thanks once again....

I have a quick question. What led up to this situation? Was it running when parked and this started out of the blue? Did you do some work and now have this problem? FWIW I've never seen a car lose a crank sensor and still have spark.

I have a quick question. What led up to this situation? Was it running when parked and this started out of the blue? Did you do some work and now have this problem? FWIW I've never seen a car lose a crank sensor and still have spark.
Well what happend was, i was trying to trouble shoot it... The car was only firing 4 cylinders, and i came to the conclusion that it was an faulty ignition module. Eventualy the car ran out of gas on me. When i received the new ignition module i swap them out put fuel in the car, (approx 6-7 gallons of fuel) and it wouldnt start..... i put every thing the same way i took it off.... So i dont know what the problem is... is there any place where i can look up the wire hook up on the ignition module, or for the coil box?? SO PLEASE HELP.....:biggrin:

So the only thing you changed was the ignition module and coils? If that's the case have you tried putting your old stuff on? Also, have you triple checked your plug wires? We've all done that and then rechecked knowing that can't be it only to over look it, trouble shoot everything, and then figure out that was it. Just some food for thought. james

Edit: Turbo Regal Web Site probably has any schematics you're looking for.

I thought about putting back the old ignition module, but in a way it didnt make any sense to me.. The ignition module is brand new. so i dont see why it wouldnt work.. but i guess i can try it.... now im looking for the wire diagram so i can double chech the wire connections from the module to the coils.. i dont know if you knw what im talking about.. but i also want to check the hook up of the spark plug wires.. so any help would be great... but yes that is all i changed on it.... and the sad part i burned out the starter on it when i was trouble shooting it.. so now i have to wait for pay day so i can order up a new one... any one know where i can find a High Torque Mini Starter form????? Thanks.............