You can type here any text you want

Crankshaft Reference Angle

• Thread starter Thread starter EFIBBC
  • Start date Start date

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
E

EFIBBC

I am installing a Speed Pro Bank to Bank Fuel Injection Set-up on a Big Block Chevy and have a question concering the proper establishment of the Crankshaft Reference Angle. The C-Com Software has it set at 50 Degrees before TDC. An MSD Billet Distrubitor (non HEI Version) is already installed in the motor. Now what? Do I rotate the Balancer (it is a fully indexed ATI Unit) until it reads 50 degrees BTDC with the pointer and then reinstall the distributor with the Rotor pointing to the Number One Cylinder? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

EFIBBC

Reference angle

Nope. You set the ign up as you would w/ a 'regular" ign control. IE: install it at TDC and then set the timing you want on the timing map.
The ECM needs the following for timing control.
1. Leave the reference at 50*.
2. Install the dist. at TDC.
3. Program the timing map for the curve you wish to run.
The limit is 40*, given the reference is at [50*]. There is a 10* margin required to give the ECM time to perform the fuel and timing calcs.
If you want more than 40*, then move the reference up to retain the 10* margin.;)

I think you also have to have the advance locked in the dist. as you are using it as a signal generator, not a variable timing control as it was when carburated.

Anyone else???

Thanks Chuck!
You are correct....I have both the Centrifical and Vacuum Advance locked out. The Distributor is in place like you suggest and the motor has not been fired yet. Do you mean that no matter how the Distributor Housing is rotated, it has no bearing on the Initial Timing?

Thanks again,
EFIBBC

The reference angle should be at 50, but the distributor should be set so that the reluctor tab (underneath the rotor) for the #1 cylinder lines up dead-centered in the pickup at 50 as well. Read the instructions in the Windows software in the "initial setup" section and it will walk you through this procedure. If you don't have the Windows software, the help files are located on our website which is in my sig file.

Thanks Craig,
I downloaded all of the C-Com set-up information...great site by the way.
EFIBBC

Reference angle

BBZZZTT!! Guess I need to READ the "book" again! Sorry bout the "mis information". Thot only the CIA used that !!;)

No problem Chuck,
Actually, you got me in the ballpark. I have been looking everywhere for some type of book or reference material that gives novices a direction to go concerning installation,programming,tuning,etc and this site (and all the people associated with it) have been the best source of information.
EFIBBC

Back