You can type here any text you want

crate engine

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

asto-t

I pickup a nos gm long block engine Sg1. IT was bought from a oil testing company.It was never used. I talked to Brian at G-bodys and confirmed it was real thing. Now, What should I check out first. I also need help with directions on installing oil pump,cam sensor,crank sensor,and the front cover. Thanks

I bought 3 complete longblocks from a test lab in PA this year. All 3 three looked brand new, but the block and heads were actually rebuilt used. Nice engines, but you need to swap out those cast pistons and change out the valve seals. Check the bores. All 3 of mine turned out to be .040 over.

My friend bought a NOS GM factory shortblock about ten years ago and installed it assuming the clearances were right. Big mistake. Make sure you tear it down and check everything (including the balance).

Checking clearances is a good idea. Mine were good but the engine did not have assembly lube or oil on any surfaces to help break-in. What harmonic damper and flywheel are you going to use? You can't use the GN parts unless you have it all rebalanced.

Checking clearances is a good idea. Mine were good but the engine did not have assembly lube or oil on any surfaces to help break-in. What harmonic damper and flywheel are you going to use? You can't use the GN parts unless you have it all rebalanced.

I did plan on swapping over everything.I dont understand why the harmonic balancer wouldnt work if these were replacement blocks dealer used? Now I am not sure I made the right decission on this engine?

If you are going to run the engine at street boost levels less than 17 lb.s, you can run it as is. Those engines were built to duplicate 1986 NA engine specs which made about 150 HP. The good thing is it should have been rebuilt using a new NA crank and 2 dot rods which will hold up just fine on a street engine. If you need the correct part numbers for anything, I have the build sheet on those test engines.

I personally don't understand how the engine could have been balanced unless it includes a new balancer and flywheel. My buddy thought he was saving money on machine work. It turned out much more expensive in the long run. Check everything and make sure everything is perfect.

It's very easy to tell if it is one of the special test engines. They are the same SG1 109 blocks, but will have a smaller 3/8" hole drilled where the oil return line usually screws in on a turbo block. They are usually plugged when built by the test lab. The heads are the same 8445 casting but do not have EGR and heat crossover passsages. The cranks won't have rolled fillets on the rod journals. Rods in NA and turbo engines are the same 2 dot rods. Also, the rebuilt engines will have brass freeze plugs. The new blocks came with steel freeze plugs.

That does not look like it was built with any of the Sequence IIIE test parts. It even has the remanufactured paperwork from AC Delco, and all of the test engines were built on site by the labs to ensure quality. I'm sure you've got a good engine there.

Back