Cruise Control.

nirto71455

Hey guys the Cruise isn't working on my 87 GN. Can any of you give me some insite on what usually goes wrong with them? Some direction on where to start trouble shooting would be great!

Thanks,
Rich

I had a switch go wrong with mine. Many have said they have prob with the brake switch. What are the symptoms. Did it just stop working? does the dash light ativate, but the cruise control doesn't? I used a tool from OTC to diagnose the problem. It connects in place of the cruise control brain and allows you to activate the cruise control parts at any speed. It can get expensive, so you'll want to be sure of your diagnosis.

odd, my cruise died last year. no light, nothing.

My first thought was the fuse. If the fuse is good whats the next place I need to look?

My cruise didn't work for years. No light, nothing. I tried a module that I got at the junkyard, and it didn't work. Finally a couple of years later, I found out there was a brake switch. Mine was out of adjustment. I adjusted it, and got a Cruise light. Still didn't work. Ended up being the module thingy under the hood that the cable attaches to. It was like $70-90 for a Delco one. Now I buy try to find them at the junkyard. That's expensive.
So: 1. Check the switch, then
2. Go to the junkyard and get one of the solenoid thingies, and try that. (Actually, get a couple just so you are sure you get one that works.)

Good Luck
Brian

Ok I am having the same problems.. I did check my fuse as well.. and it looks good.. I dont get a light or anything. SO where exactly is this brake switch located.. I am going to look tomorrow. I am at work so i cant go out there and look now.. So that will have to wait till tomorrow.. So if you can just say where it is i will look

Some other things to check besides the fuse and brake light switch:
1. check all electric connections
2. check one way check valve on driver side of intake by the EGR. If it goes bad, you will have no vacuum to activate the actuator and thus no light.
3. Make sure the black wire for the multifunction switch didnt get cut on the steering column opening where the stalk comes out.
4. Make sure the vacuum dump valve on the brake pedal is is closed. If it stays open you wont have vacuum at the actuator.

I had no light on mine at first, readjusted the brake switch and finally got the light to come on but no cruise. I then borrowed a tech book from someone and it tells you to check the connections to the cruise control module under the dash. I gives you all the readings you should see and if they are all good, its your module. I still havent found one by the way. $200 aftermarket was the only place i was told new ones are available.

Scott