You can type here any text you want

Custom Intercooler Builder

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

CTX-SLPR

Howdy,

Do ya'll have a recommendation for a custom intercooler builder? I'm getting closer to fitting my Riviera out with the turbo hardware and I'd like to start shopping around for an intercooler and discussing the strategy of using a full area unit vs a thicker narrower unit when I have a relatively small cooling inlet area.

Thanks,

I will tell you since yours will be a custom set up, (like mine is) it would be best to buy a core & have a local welder weld up your end tanks & tubes. that is what I just did with my car. here is a pic. from the other day. I still need to permanently mount it. the piping bends should be here next week to build the piping.

I was contemplating using a deisel intercooler for a donor core since I have an approximately 27in W x 25in T x 3in D area that is both the available space and the entire cooling opening and the car will be mainly street driven.

I was contemplating using a diesel intercooler for a donor core since I have an approximately 27in W x 25in T x 3in D area that is both the available space and the entire cooling opening and the car will be mainly street driven.
I will tell you from my findings by talking to several knowledgeable people when building my intercooler. for my mostly race application, the thicker core for heat soak was the choice. if I was going to street drive it more, I would have gone with a thinner yet larger core, & open up the front of the car to allow more air flow. as for the diesel intercooler I considered an aftermarket one but I did not want to cut the core support for the pipes.

The pipes are going to be another challenge in an of themselfs... I also don't want to cut the core support up but the open area on the front of the car is suprisingly small for as wide as it is. Right now I'm going to be boxing in the lower part of the front bumper and putting a small air dam on it to both try and keep air out from under the car and to force more through the cooling stack (A-A IC, Condensor, Radiator) and I will have fender vents to let the air out from underhood so that should help the flow rate.
As for the deisel unit, it would just be a donor for its low density core that I would have new tanks fabricated for. I'll be home in 2 weeks and start taking pictures.

Back